So you want to make a MMORPG

LittleBrownDuck
Unregistered

Holy snappa cakes!

Zekaric, that was awesome. Intimidating, but awesome.

Thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
Next Generation Chocolate
Unregistered

CubicCircle Wrote:What if you're too ******** to learn? Or have too little time? Or ADD?

no one on this earth is too ******** to learn how to make a game, or even tie their shoe...it all happens to do with how much time and dedication you put into a certain aspect, and how lazy you are aswell. Annoyed And yes, that annoys me how you could just possibly think that.
Nibbie
Hi. I have a small stupid question:
How long would Java (NOT JAVASCRIPT which is used in html pages and has nothing to do with java) take to learn to a "middle" state where i could do some basic stuff? I don't intend to make a MMORPG, actually the first M in MMORPG says it all. I dont have MASSIVE ressources.

Thanks for any answers i may get.
to a middle state (most of all the stuff - advanced) uuhh i'd say ohhhh..... 10 - 20 months depending on you (the time you have to do it, your lazyness, etc.)
Nibbie
Well guys I have a serious question... my friend and I are almost done (this school year) taking C++ so we decided we wanted to make an MMORPG. We have a friend who's doing concept art for us and we have divided the workload to the best of our capacities...
Anyhow, my question would be if you guys have any pointers on some things that I will need to plan/do while developing the game that I might miss at a first glance. Thanks in advance.

PS. Don't tell me it's impossible because nothing is and we are in it for the long run =D
Well, a good first step is to read the beginning of this thread, seeing as it's titled "So you want to make a MMORPG"....
Alex
F1R3_SHAD0W Wrote:PS. Don't tell me it's impossible because nothing is and we are in it for the long run =D

It is no more impossible then you evolving into pure energy in the next 15 minutes, in fact it might be even more probable then that.

You have to take into account we have seen thousands of people just like you. Who are in it for the long haul, who have a team of 15 friends, who will never give up, etc. Not one, not even one of them ever even came remotely close to making anything resembling a MMORPG.

Do yourself a favor make Pong or something first, see if you even like programing and then work your way up to bigger projects.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
kodex Wrote:You have to take into account we have seen thousands of people just like you. Who are in it for the long haul, who have a team of 15 friends, who will never give up, etc. Not one, not even one of them ever even came remotely close to making anything resembling a MMORPG. .

You might have greater success if you consider licensing an existing MMORPG framework:

http://howlingmoonsoftware.com/wordpress/?p=122

With a strong starting off point, you'll be able to get past a lot of challenges that stump other new developers. In addition, I would be willing to provide contract development at relatively low hourly prices.

Howling Moon Software - CrayonBall for Mac and iPhone, Contract Game Dev Work

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  No, I do not want to make an MMORPG but please tell me how long this would take filfil96 4 4,252 Apr 21, 2009 03:09 AM
Last Post: filfil96
  So you want to make a MMORPG? Joseph Duchesne 0 14,152 Apr 6, 2006 12:17 PM
Last Post: Joseph Duchesne