Best method for creating online text RPGs?

Xcit3
Unregistered

I m wanting to learn a code so i can make txt based rpgs in a webbrosewer i do know waht the best code wuld be to learn can some help us out?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
First it helps if you slow down and make sure you have sentences and words and that everything is spelled right.

Second if you are planning to make it in a browser, your options (as far as I know) are Javascript and Flash. Javascript is probably more of what you're looking for as Flash deals more with graphics. I'm not a huge programmer for the web so that's just my two cents.
Xcit3
Unregistered

ok i will look into java Blink
first you might look into to deciding, instead of desiding. then, from there, look into PHP/msql/javascript.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Founder
I would suggest you visit hotscripts.com and search their PHP section (games). For example, a project like this one:
http://phprpg.org/

If you don't know any scripting languages, then may I suggest you start by joining an established project first?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Xcit3
Unregistered

ok then i will look into learning java php mysql would taht be all i need to make anygame?
Sage
Again, if you take a second and correctly format your posts, it will be easier for people to answer. If you cannot properly format the English language, there is no way you'll grasp the syntax of a programming language.

To answer what I think you're asking, I would suppose that you could make an entire game with just Javascript. I don't know the rest so you'll have to look up information about them yourself.
Xcit3
Unregistered

Nick lol

Ok let me start again. I want to learn how to make a Text-Based Rpg game. What would i need to do to start of with, like what language would i need to learn also i want the game to able to play in a web broweser. So what would i need??
Xcit3, as was mentioned by Nayr your best bet would be to look into PHP as a programming language, and a MySQL database for storing the player's progress between sessions; PHP is also relatively easy to interface with MySQL.

As an aside, an advantage of PHP over Javascript is that it is a server-side language, and so is independent of the browser being used by the player – thus you avoid troubles like the various browsers interpretations of/broken support for Javascript, and similar fun.

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Xcit3
Unregistered

ok then thanks do you know what site i'm best off learing php from?? (btw i m starting to learn c++)
This site looks like it has a few reasonably decent, simple (perhaps a little too simple) tutorials, although I haven't looked at it in any great depth; if you're learning C++, you'll probably notice the similarities between some of the syntax in the two languages (as C's syntax is borrowed by more than a few languages...)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Xcit3
Unregistered

Yea the c is almost the same as c++ and same with pascale as well thanks for the help i'm sure i will be back here for more help
Sage
Welcome to iDevgames! As you've probably noticed, people are snarky here about well-formatted questions. Don't take offense, we'll be happy to help you, so long as you take the time to write reasonably well Wink
javascript is also good to work with; not for the actual scripting o the game, but for flashy effects. You can use J.S. and PHP together.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  im creating a text base game site DEMILUST 0 2,414 Dec 15, 2008 03:07 PM
Last Post: DEMILUST
  Getting text from a window text field mars 7 4,955 Mar 26, 2005 06:06 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie