autotools on os x with sdl/opengl

rzilibowitz
Unregistered

I would like to make my project compatible with linux using the GNU configure / make system (otherwise known as GNU Autotools). It is an OpenGL game and uses SDL to do system level things such as opening the window and keyboard input.

I have not been able to find any explanation on how to create configure.in and Makefile.am files which will build my sdl/opengl project on mac os x and on linux (and hopefully also windows) systems.

nb: I would like the mac os x build to use the "frameworks approach" and not force mac os x users to install sdl using fink.

Any advice on this subject would be very much appreciated.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
a) You're nuts.
b) seriously.
c) consider Cons or SCons instead.
d) even then, support for frameworks and bundles is not good.
e) if you're resolved, http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/manual/index.html
Oldtimer
While Keith's reply sounds harsh, it's true. If you require the users to build the game themselves, you'll do nothing but piss them off and turn them away. 90% of the users out there don't even know what the Terminal is. Smile Just build the package and release it - it's the right way - because forcing them to build themselves is very much the wrong way on Mac. Smile
I agree with Fenris users dont even want to read the manual anymore, no one is going to be willing to compile their own game

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Luminary
er, I didn't read the OP as suggesting that users would have to compile the game themselves...