Misfit Model 3d

This modeler seems to have some very good specs and might be a nice free alternative to Meshwork.

I tried to build this thing from the source last night with no success. If one of you could make a working binary, I'd greatly appreciate it.

It requires Qt and Lua to build. I couldn't get Qt to build for some reason.

http://www.misfitcode.com/misfitmodel3d/...1.7.tar.gz

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Quote this message in a reply
From the Features link:
Quote:Version 1.2 has not been released yet. All of the features below have been completed and are in the most recent development version.

General features
Runs on Linux, FreeBSD, Windows XP, and Mac OS X

(bold added by me)

I'll see if I can build Qt.

Edit: Are you running Tiger? If so, check the Platform Notes
Luminary
I'm nearly done.
If you can't get Qt to build by yourself, you could give DarwinPorts a go.

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Luminary
I take it back.

Getting Qt and Lua built is easy enough (use gcc 3.3), but I can't make Misfit3D itself build. I get about 100 undefined symbols.

Somebody else's turn Smile
Not it.

Next person's turn.
PowerMacX Wrote:Edit: Are you running Tiger? If so, check the Platform Notes

Nope. Panther. I tried it with Qt 3.3. No dice.

Quote:From: Eli Curtz <eli@nu...>
OS X
2005-05-14 10:36
Hi everybody,

I downloaded Misfit and, with a bit of head scratching, got it to build on OS X. It was actually relatively smooth - congratulations to Kevin and all involved for that.

I'm certainly not anywhere near submitting patches or anything, but if anybody is curious I had to do the following little changes to get it to compile:

Kill the (unused?) glxfont stuff, which doesn"t seem to exist on OS X
Remove some references to X11 that configure insisted on leaving
Change methods in lwofilter.cc to match the prototypes
Changed animwin to use gettimeofday() rather than ftime()

At that point I could build a weird unix/qt hybrid app that could run from the command line and open a window, but it always stayed in the background and had only tenuous mouse and keyboard interaction.

Then I was stumped trying to transform it into a real application. I wasted a bunch of time playing with flags and recompiling and cursing before I figured out what the trivial problem was:

cmdline_init was shutting down the app at launch because it was getting a flag it didn"t understand (the psn from the Finder launch.)

Anyway, it runs now, and I"ll look into what can be done to make it big-endian and Aqua friendly.

Thanks everyone, I hope that I"ll be using this eventually to generate my Nintendo DS models...

eli curtz

This is from the first fellow who managed to build it...unfortunately I can't get his email address from Sourceforge. This is greek to me, but maybe one of you can roll with it.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
lightbringer Wrote:Not it.
*TAG!*

You're it!

Rasp

has anyone made any progress? I succesfully installed QT, but couldn't do mm3d...

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
I contacted the fellow who originially got it working on OS X. He is hoping to clean it up a bit so it is easier to build on Mac.

Of course, don't let that stop any of you guys from trying. Rasp

Woo hoo!
Quote:gentle persons,

I just put together a binary installer of MM3D 1.1.8 for MacOSX (10.3 or higher) - this includes Lua. It is available via:

http://naranja.umh.es/~atg/mm3d118.pkg.zip

a screen shot of the program running on MacOSX can be found here:

http://naranja.umh.es/~atg/images/screen-mm3d.png

MM3D needs *of course* an installation of Trolltech's Qt/Mac 3.3 framework - "minimal" installer -justr the required libraries - can be found here:

http://naranja.umh.es/~atg/QtMac334_Mini.zip

nota bene: I have some problems compiling the 3DS-plugin under MacOSX. Anyone succeeded with this?

Have at it, people!

OK. I had a chance to play with this today. I like it a lot. I made a little animated character, exported it to md2, and PakRat played it no problem.

It lets you make animations that are skeletal or frame based, and you can convert the skeletal ones to frames if you wish.

The only downsides I see thus far is that you can only have bone per vertex. This is supposed to be fixed in 1.13.

Otherwise, this looks like a very solid replacement for Meshworks. The texture mapping tools are decent also.

Very nice low poly modeler - a little like Milkshape. Thanks Dan! Its amazing to me Codenautics still sells Meshworks for $30 considering how many good free modelers there are and how poor a product Meshworks is. Hopefully Brian can add MM support to dim3 so that people who want to use his free game engine dont have to send $30 to Joe first.

Qt does an ok job managing the gui - not great like Cocoa - but I can live with it considering its cross-platform abilities. Things like the save/open dialogs are wierd - sometimes closing a dialog doesnt bring the window behind it to the fore - tab order is incomprehensible for many dialogs - but I can look past that.

So there is AOI, Blender, Wings, and now Misfit. Very cool tools - now I just have to do *something* with them - its getting harder to make excuses.
codemattic Wrote:its getting harder to make excuses.

LOL Perhaps someone can make an app for that. LOL
igame3d Wrote:LOL Perhaps someone can make an app for that. LOL
sounds like something Damian could create! Fill in a couple of blanks or let it generate them randomly. I would do it myself but as you implied then that would negate the reason since I would be creating something and would no longer need an excuse!