Will Wrights' "Spore" - coolest game ever!

I just saw the GDC video of Will Wrights' presentation on his new title, "Spore". If you haven't seen it, here's the link:

http://www.pqhp.com/cmp/gdctv/

This has to be the most original/creative/elaborate games I've ever seen. The idea of procedural content creation is wicked. Will Wright is a total super-genius!
Quote this message in a reply
DavidJJ
Unregistered

Agreed! The official site is here and it's once again a tremendously cool concept from Will Wright. This one won many awards at the latest E3 show.
Obligatory Penny Arcade reference Smile

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?da...5-27&res=l

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
^ LOL

lalalala... minimum message length...
Sorry, but it seems a little like Will Wright's Daikatana; nothing which hasn't been done before, albeit before on a more limited scale – which isn't to say it can't be good...

(/me reminds himself to go take a look at Republic...)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
I'll never play the game but the flash intro was nice...

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Cool as it is, it lacks two elements necessary for the coolest game ever: big boobs and kung fu.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
I love it, the only thing I'm concerned with is the fun-factor when games get out to the universe scale. Supposedly he mentioned there where emerge a bunch of mini-games or something, I'm not seeing that.

Otherwise it's one of the coolest and innovative game demonstrations I've seen in a while.
lightbringer Wrote:Supposedly he mentioned there where emerge a bunch of mini-games or something, I'm not seeing that.

I think he was saying "meta-games." I got the idea that he just meant that it was far more open-ended by that point, less trying to develop your own race and more establishing connections with / destroying / whatever other races on other planets in other systems.
Spore looks awesome. My question is, are we guaranteed a Mac version?

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Blorx2 Wrote:My question is, are we guaranteed a Mac version?

Well, Will Wright started coding on an Apple II, and The Sims series was released for Mac, so I'm sure it will be. I just hope his team does the development on the Mac version instead of having another company (e.g. Aspyr) port it.
I just watched the whole 1h presentation, and was absolutely riveted. A few thoughts:

1) Will Wright is a very, very funny man, and an excellent speaker. I'd love to have him teach me a class.
2) "The cost of content" business really struck a note with me. Especially for an independent developer, the scariest thing often isn't the coding, but rather the art/music/content.
3) Spore looks very, very cool, and very, very fun. I wonder at the wisdom of blending the rts with the third person monster game in the beginning, but it's a neat concept. I agree that I thought that after i had conquered my solar system I'd start to get a bit bored...
4) The dynamic content download system looks pretty neat. I immediately started wondering how many games this could be applied to, and it didn't seem like a very exclusive list...

I think we, as developers, should start thinking more about integrating our private content tools into the game as *part* of the game. This is an incredible idea, and obviously one that Will Wright is going to profit hugely from...
DavidJJ
Unregistered

Blorx2 Wrote:Spore looks awesome. My question is, are we guaranteed a Mac version?

ROTFL
Rolleyes
Founder
I just got viewed the presentation video on Spores -- I'm floored!

I never thought I would want to play a game so much as this one.

Video --> http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=...98&q=spore

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Will Wright's Spore Presentation

Carlos Camacho Wrote:I never thought I would want to play a game so much as this one.

If I can script Spore then this is the game I've always wanted to play,
its what I have always wanted a to do with a computer, in one package.
Wow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Prototypes from Spore AndyKorth 2 4,056 Apr 10, 2009 09:22 PM
Last Post: filfil96