Motorcycle Game Weapons

I am trying to make a list of weapons to add to my motorcycle game. I have made a decent amount of progress sense I last posted about it (although I could have made lots more). Here is what I just made off the top of my head, I want to limit it to 10 (for each number key and to keep asset development under control).

Kicking will also be an option by pressing command instead of space bar

(now in order of power)

Fist (low range/damage fast attack rate)
2x4 Board + Nail(slightly worse than baseball bat)
Aluminum Baseball Bat (medium damage range)
Knife (adds a bleeding damage, fast attack low range)
Golf Driver (long range OK damage)
Morning Star (good damage, medium range)
Sword (medium range, high damage, bleeding attack)

Special - Forward attack, Side Attack, and Back Attack

Pepper Spray - blinds the opponent (if you get hit there is a white screen that fades in for a few seconds, you can still have control)
Oil Slick - Makes opponents lose control that are behind you
Nitrous - Boost of speed and knows down anyone you hit

Have any ideas or comments about my initial ideas? There are a few I really like and a few that I know won't make it (I just wanted to get an initial 10 thought up).
Quote this message in a reply
I did not know your motorcycle game was going to be Road Rash-style... awesome, now I'm even more excited for it.

Pepper spray / mace, yes, good thing to have. That was fun in Road Rash.

Oil slick, or a banana if you want to be goofy? Something to lay down and make it slippery - this would require some extra textures on the terrain and remembering the weapon, though, so maybe that's not in the realm of possibility. An oil slick for motorcycles would be real good and nasty though.

A big chain - it could show off your physics engine if it was a number of links in it. Similarly, to a mace... in fact, is that what a morning star is?

How about fireworks or something that could scare a human opponent into avoiding them, but really they don't do any damage beyond making a "boom" sound? A fake weapon, if you will.

and... water balloons! Grin

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Rabid wolverines would be good...

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Thumbtacks! Flat tires all around!

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?
Drill?
Saw?
Have an upgrade to the 2X4 which has an old rusty nail in it?
Perhaps something to throw?

Alex
How about something that takes off an entire wheel and makes the bike move crazy-go-nuts all over the road; an opportunity to have the physics engine really show off. (if you have a detailed one)
It would be a one-time-use-only weapon, though... like a chainsaw maybe.

@karlbecker_com
How about taking off your helmet, starting a bomb counter in it, and throwing it. It could deal lotta-lotta damage, but make you more vulnerable after throwing it away.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Oldtimer
Throw a chain into the front tyre. If you don't turn for a couple of seconds, it'll fall off, but if you do, the bike topples.
You need some sort of massive death-ray that instantly destroys everyone in a 3-mile radius. Buildings too Love

The list as it is now seems pretty bland. Fundamentally they're all the same weapon. I'd have some weapons be the typical melee weapon, some be long range offense (fires in front of you) and some be long range defense (fires behind you, or is dropped on the ground.)

Here's another list, using some ideas from the thread:

Melee weapons:
- Fist: Basic weapon
- Aluminum baseball bat: Damage dealer. Needs a satisfying sound when you hit someone. Either a BINK or a CLANG.
- Chain: Less damage, but can screw up tires or pull someone off a bike
- Morning star (the ball and chain would have to be so huge that it drags behind your bike, then you haul off and whip it all the way around into the side of someone's head. That would rule!) Could deal damage at long range, and dis-bike someone at close range. Would need a slow rate of fire to balance.
- Cattle Prod: Light damage, but it stuns the guy for a second. Would be good to use right before a hairpin turn, etc
- Chainsaw: Why not?

Offensive Weapons:
- Artillery Shell: Sends mortars flying to some point way ahead on the track. Anyone about 3 seconds ahead to 3 seconds behind of you will have to deal with them blowing up parts of the track around them.
- Nitrous: A surge of speed. In addition, anyone you hit while blowing nitrous would be knocked around.

Defensive Weapons:
- Mini Grenade: Kind of like a landmine that you drop, but it has a fuse. The idea is for it to blow up in the face of a tailgater even if it doesn't hit them.
- Mace Screen: Kind of like the smoke screen from Spy Hunter, only with mace. Blindness

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Thanks for the suggestions. I have edited the original list to give it more variety. There are 7 weapons with more of a variety now (and they will get noticeably better so you can notice how bad the 2x4 is later in the game). I have also added 3 special weapons, one for behind you, to your sides, and in front of you.

I am getting excited and motivated to work on this game again, I can't wait to show everyone once I get some nice models!
It doesn't even have to be nice models, I just want to see how this thing plays / runs! I'm excited to play it... if I get to test it Smile

@karlbecker_com
I loved the crazy weapons in Carmageddon. I think the spring was one of my favorites. If you haven't played it then you probably can't really imagine how it worked, but basically it's just a comically huge spring that comes out of the vehicle and pushes away ( really far away ) the nearest person or vehicle. It was hilarious!
For weapons and driving, what you really need to look at for inspiration is cel damage... Cel Damage is one of the greatest lets-kill-each-other-in-some-crazy-looking-cars games ever. May be the only one with chainsaw's in it...
Anyways, they really implemented the weapons in a way that worked with gameplay...

http://images.google.com/images?q=cel%20...a=N&tab=wi
Hehe, I remember that thread. I remember I thought up a bunch of crazy ideas for that game, but I didn't post them... I did put some of them up, but the majority stayed in storage.

Alex