glBindTexture

dave05
Unregistered

Currently in my code, the way it's structured, when I draw the same sprite 8 times in a row, for example, I call glBindTexture every single one of those 8 times.

ie, here is the routine that i call

Code:
void    OGL_DrawImageInRectWithOriginRotation(
                GLuint img, CGRect imgRect, int centerX, int centerY, int rotation)
{
    glPushMatrix();

glTranslatef(centerX, centerY, 0);
        glRotatef(rotation,0,0,1);

glBindTexture( GL_TEXTURE_2D, img );

glBegin(GL_QUADS);

glTexCoord2f(    0.0f,    0.0f);
            glVertex2i(    imgRect.origin.x,    imgRect.origin.y );

glTexCoord2f(    1.0f,    0.0f);
            glVertex2i(    imgRect.size.width+imgRect.origin.x,
                        imgRect.origin.y);

glTexCoord2f(    1.0f,    1.0f);
            glVertex2i(    imgRect.size.width+imgRect.origin.x,
                        imgRect.size.height+imgRect.origin.y);

glTexCoord2f(    0.0f,    1.0f);
            glVertex2i(    imgRect.origin.x,
                        imgRect.size.height+imgRect.origin.y);
        glEnd();

glPopMatrix();
}

now, I was just wondering if it's faster to draw repeatedly without rebinding.. ie, should I create a separate function that does the binding, then draw several quads before binding the next sprite...?
Quote this message in a reply
dave05 Wrote:Currently in my code, the way it's structured, when I draw the same sprite 8 times in a row, for example, I call glBindTexture every single one of those 8 times.
now, I was just wondering if it's faster to draw repeatedly without rebinding.. ie, should I create a separate function that does the binding, then draw several quads before binding the next sprite...?

I am going to say of course it would be faster, less calls to glBindTexture, but I have no idea how much overhead there is, so how much of a speed hit? I have no idea. You will have to use OpenGL Profiler to find out.

Remember optimization is cool, but it takes a good programmer to know when and where to optimize, if calling glBindTexture a million times, creates litteraly no overhead, then dont bother the time it will take you to re-implement that. Stick to the expensive places first, and toss in a nice
Code:
#warning glBindTexture is being called a lot, possible optimization here
to get a nice little flag every time you build. Just my 2cents.
throwing all those state calls will slow you down. If you've got all your GL wrapped up in good OOP, it shouldn't be a problem to cache that part of the state. Another thing I like to cache is the current context. I know in NSGL (not sure about here) -makeCurrentContext is ghastly slow.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Oh yeah, and besides, if you've got a good rendering pipeline, you can coalesce all those immediate mode calls into a single vertex array and get lots and lots of speed up.

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_RECTANGLE_ARB, ...) throws GL errors ravuya 1 6,069 Nov 2, 2006 12:06 AM
Last Post: ravuya
  glBindTexture with ALPHA sux on NVIDIA Cards !? hgore69 1 3,132 Mar 12, 2005 01:35 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie