The uDev 3

I propose that we have 3 uDev contests per year:

- uDevGames
This is just the standard contest that we all know

- uDevApps
This would be based around a theme or technology. Example themes:
Bonjour (rendezvous), Movies, Menu Extras.

- uDevTools
This would be a competition to develop a tool. The tool would have to be written in a
timelimit just like uDevGames.

There should definitely be more uDevs and I think that this would be a good format. I think that uDevs should have scripts written so that they are more automated and stuff, so that Carlos doesn't have to do so much work

Comments?

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - In memory of Douglas Adams.
My Site
Quote this message in a reply
you shouldn't have to do Rendezvous, especially if one doesn't have more then one computer (or don't want to spend the money getting a compiler). 3 uDevs mght be a bit much. I think that tools should either be a 21 day thing, or just be absorbed into uDevApps.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
I think we should have more of the smaller contests at a schedule rather than more of the bigger ones. A load of 4 hour contests are much more friendly and a lot more easier to manage as they don't really need sponsers...
I also feel that idevapps shouldn't have a uDev contest. Applications are there to serve a purpose, not to entertain. To have a contest like uDev where you can only develop in a certain time limit is ridiculous. Instead, either have themed things (like text editor or drawing program) or reward developers that come up with the best indie app (ie, not photoshop, illustrator, flash etc) and make them enter a form, then reward the app that is "the best" released in the year. The development could then take place for a year before, for example.
You don't need more than one computer to test rendezvous apps. You can run the app twice on one computer.

Now that I think about it maybe 3 is too many....

"So long and thanks for all the fish" - In memory of Douglas Adams.
My Site
I think it would give Carlos a nervous breakdown.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Heh, I'd be happy with just having enough time to enter uDG and the various 21DL contests, and those other uDevX contests would conflict with the mission of iDG – this is a game development community Wink

Anyway, I'd assume that no matter how much you scripted these contests, that scripting would have very little impact on the time Carlos would have to spend on organising the contests – I doubt anybody could code a script for negotiating with sponsors Wink Or for parcelling up and shipping prizes Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
You're right. What we need to do is make 2 or 3 clones of Carlos.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Quote:Anyway, I'd assume that no matter how much you scripted these contests, that scripting would have very little impact on the time Carlos would have to spend on organising the contests – I doubt anybody could code a script for negotiating with sponsors. Or for parcelling up and shipping prizes.

Unless of course the contest was to code that script.
Founder
I do want to run uDevApps once that site has a strong community -- it would help if more of you visited there. Wink Though uDevApps will most likely be a different animal for many reasons that socksy brought up. Right now, it is hard enough running uDevGames under the one-man show that it is. If everyone makes a pool and pays me to stop working in the realworld, so that I can spend 14 hours a day on iDG/iDA/uDG then I could do it. Grin

I am finding that I like the 21DL concept a bit better time wise, and effort! One sponsor, fun and simple games, minus the pigpile in the end for the booty.

BTW, this is usually the time I start getting sponsors for uDevGames, but I haven't even started. I asked for help in many areas concerning uDG 2005 in another thread but I haven't heard from a single person. Next week, I will be moving into my in-laws, and there I will stay until I have to move yet again (back to the US in the Fall.)

BTW#2, the amount of money you will spend to make 2 or 3 clones of me, could be used to pay my uearly salary x N. Wink But if you want to clone me, then go ahead... just watch out when Order 67 is placed, and all over the galaxy Carlos clones turn on the Mac Devs and wipe them out. Rasp At last --- I will have my revenge.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:I do want to run uDevApps once that site has a strong community -- it would help if more of you visited there. Wink

Hey, I do! Smile Where is the rest of you guys?

Carlos Camacho Wrote:BTW, this is usually the time I start getting sponsors for uDevGames, but I haven't even started. I asked for help in many areas concerning uDG 2005 in another thread but I haven't heard from a single person.

I've been playing around with Mambo on one of my own sites (just installed it a week ago), but even though at first sight it seemed very straightforward, I'm now starting to think it was made by engineers for engineers Wacko !

For instance: How do you put the "Web Links" module on the front page? How do you make polls apear on all pages (no, selecting "All" in the menu list doesn't work...).

Also, the wysiwyg editor for articles doesn't work on Safari (it does on Firefox), but a solution could be on its way: The FCK editor (http://www.fckeditor.net/). It is supported by Mambo and the author wants to add support for Safari 1.3 & 2.0 (he is asking for donations...)

I'll be glad to help out, I'm still not familiar enough with Mambo just yet Annoyed
Carlos Camacho Wrote:BTW, this is usually the time I start getting sponsors for uDevGames, but I haven't even started. I asked for help in many areas concerning uDG 2005 in another thread but I haven't heard from a single person.

I will gladly help, as I've stated numerous times. But there seems to be no central repository to get all the people who have said "I'll help" on the same page.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Carlos Camacho Wrote:I do want to run uDevApps once that site has a strong community -- it would help if more of you visited there. Wink

Maybe it is the subject matter that keeps people away from iDevApps.
There are a lot more discussions going on on this site that have no place in a applications development environment.

It is easier to post something in the forum where you know there are lots of people willing to answer instead of registering for another site and not getting any replies to questions asked.

People find games much more fun to work on. Application development is far too much like a day job for some people.

Maybe a better solution for getting people interested in non game discussions would be to have a non games section of the iDevGames forum. Oh wait a second, that is where it used to be Wink
Founder
>For instance: How do you put the "Web Links" module on the front page? How do you make polls apear >on all pages (no, selecting "All" in the menu list doesn't work...).
Start a thread at iDevApps and I will teach you everything you need to know. It is very simple.

I don't use WYSIWYG editors since we use a module that converts text into XHTML (Textile engine). Much better output.

>People find games much more fun to work on. Application development is far too much like a day job
>for some people.
Yes, I would agree 100% with this. I think game devs are a happy group that like to share their "battles" with the code. Making apps is a tad different in the emotion department. So, I don't expect the traffic at this time to be high, but I would like to see posts that are more closer to general Mac dev posted over there. People shouldn't feel, "Less people == I won't get an answer." If you ask, it will be answere... I'm sure.

>Oh wait a second, that is where it used to be...
A wise-guy. :pokes him in the eyes:

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Who in their right mind would download and judge a uDevApp??? How is a rushed, feature-incomplete, hackish tool a benefit to anyone? If we did do those contests we might as well give out uRayTool awards to all the judges. Seriously, is this a joke or what?

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
kelvin Wrote:Who in their right mind would download and judge a uDevApp??? How is a rushed, feature-incomplete, hackish tool a benefit to anyone?

Actually, if you step back a second and think about it, someone developing an application in three months has a lot more development time than someone developing a game in that time scale.

Why? Well how much of the three months of uDevGames is spent working on sound, graphics, storyline, designing levels, optimisation and getting fiddly things like full screen working?

Now how much time is needed to be spent on sound, graphics, storyline and level design for an application? In fact it is possible to develop an application without any graphics at all apart from maybe an application icon. Optimisation may not even be needed either unless it is a very processor intensive application.

Applications can work very well and be useful even without their full feature set. For example people were using my
Project Tracker application without it being complete. In fact I used it throughout my entire uDevGames 2004 entry development. It is an example of an incomplete feature set still being usable.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  UDEV: Can I enter? aschearer 31 16,959 Mar 20, 2009 04:11 AM
Last Post: mattness
  Question regarding udev games contest rule 8 mattness 29 12,661 Feb 25, 2009 04:27 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Long lost uDev entry.. Johan 8 6,038 Jan 29, 2009 02:46 AM
Last Post: Johan