Game porting requirments

I'll admit I didn't read all of the posts, but the thing that grabbed me was the char arrays. I'd keep UTF strings in mind.
Quote this message in a reply
i wouldn't use obj-c; I'm not sure how good gnustep's implementation is, not to mention that obj-c is much slower than c.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Its a little late to switch languages considering everything is programmed in objective C and cocoa. Of course I could reprogram everything but I am trying to find the easiest way.
if that's so, then (on your next game), switch to C.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
he means C++ Wink

And you don't have to do a full switch. You can mix Obj-C/Cocoa & C++ easily.
Give it a try, yes... but don't get your hopes up quite that much... My experiences with GNUStep about a year ago were mostly miserable. Sad Perhaps it has improved since then...

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
reubert Wrote:Give it a try, yes... but don't get your hopes up quite that much... My experiences with GNUStep about a year ago were mostly miserable. Sad Perhaps it has improved since then...

I gave it a run a couple weeks back, and I can personally tell you the packages for Ubuntu and such are utterly broken. Paths are blatantly wrong, Makefiles are missing (or the wrong version) and a lot of stuff just doesn't work for reasons not entirely apparent to you when building with gcc4.

Here's hoping that Objective-C will become more of a priority, I think the event system has a definite benefit for game programmers of all platforms and I'd rather not restrict my games solely to the Mac.

Newest game: Glow, a sci-fi RPG with lots of zombie bashing. Get it: OS X
Nayr Wrote:i wouldn't use obj-c; I'm not sure how good gnustep's implementation is, not to mention that obj-c is much slower than c.

The speed impact of using Obj-C is negligible. Some of the Cocoa API is slow, but those parts can be avoided. And of course, anything that needs that last little bit of optimization can easily be written in C.

Portability is really the only reason to avoid using Obj-C. And eventually GNUstep will be good enough to use.
And that will be a day for celebration Smile

Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath the clear blue sky?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  FlowerMan: PC-DirectX game for Macintosh - porting tools? MarekUhrin 13 7,056 Aug 9, 2006 11:21 AM
Last Post: MarekUhrin
  SDL game porting trouble: undefined symbols destructive cactus 6 5,543 Jul 28, 2005 04:29 PM
Last Post: destructive cactus