3D models,what are the options?

Sage
To each their own -- I find Wings3D's single-button mode much more intuitive.
Quote this message in a reply
Apprentice
If you'll forgive my n00bish ignorance, could you elaborate on Wings3D single button mode?

I've downloaded W3d before but was unable to use it because I thought it required 3 mouse buttons, but after reading your posts it seems that this isn't the case. I did a google search and a text search though the manual to no avail.

I'd like to get started in the 3d realm, but so far haven't been able to.
Sage
Download their PDF manual -- it explains usage with 3 and 1 buttons pretty well. I believe, also, that the prefs window for the Mac client has a single-button-mouse checkbox.
this book looks pretty good. has anyone read it?
Maya is probably the best, and you can get the educational edition free.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
DavidJJ
Unregistered

Cheetah3D is an excellent entry-level 3D package, and Silo is a very fast and fun polygon modeller.
Oldtimer
I stepped from seven years of Raydream/Carrara to Blender last week. I really regret wasting those years. Smile Blender is just great.
Fenris Wrote:I stepped from seven years of Raydream/Carrara to Blender last week. I really regret wasting those years. Smile Blender is just great.

Your journey to the dark side is now complete.
Ninja
Fenris Wrote:I stepped from seven years of Raydream/Carrara to Blender last week. I really regret wasting those years. Smile Blender is just great.

I bought Raydream back in '97... It turned out very useful, you know, to pretend I had more books on my bookshelf... (I can't seem to find a picture on Google - nope I don't have a digital cam. either Sad )

Ray Dream Studio 5 was released two weeks after I bought RDS 4... and it added polygon editing, physics, 5 bundled plugins to render sky/lens fx, etc, and made rendering 2x as fast Mad They sent me a nice letter asking me if I wanted to upgrade for "just $99.99!" a week later Mad

I see now that Blender has finally added a real Undo... Sneaky (no, pressing U wasn't a good design choice, and it only worked on some places). I'll give it another try.

Edit: BTW, my current favorite is Wings 3D
hyperutila
Unregistered

I learned blender about a year ago and haven't wanted to use anything else since. In my opinion, it is well worth learning. I learned everything from one PDF file that I downloaded off of one of the websites. I think it was http://www.blender.org. Then go to documentation. One of the downloads is a large tutorial that takes you through everything. I thought it was great! Also, .OFF files are great for import to OpenGL, though I haven't figured out how to import texturing. Maybe that's not included in the OFF format.