Which mac is best for a coder on a budget?

Max Wrote:Credit cards, educational discounts, loans... bah! I use cash! I paid my $4000 Mac, cash! The reseller was a bit surprised... Wink

Well, you had to get rid of those marked bills asap Sneaky Rasp

I paid my current mac in cash too, $3000 pesos (ARS) at the time*. Now, with import taxes plus the 1 - 3 local currency exchange that would buy me 1 & 1/2 Mac minis... Mad

(*)(back when I bought my PM G4 local currency, ARS, was == to USD)
Quote this message in a reply
what about an imac g5? Somebody owns one and can tell?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Max
PowerMacX Wrote:Well, you had to get rid of those marked bills asap Sneaky Rasp
LOL Good one! Yeah, I'm a real bad man! I said $4000 but I converted it to US dollar. I actually gave $5000 canadian dollars.

PowerMacX Wrote:I paid my current mac in cash too, $3000 pesos (ARS) at the time*. Now, with import taxes plus the 1 - 3 local currency exchange that would buy me 1 & 1/2 Mac minis... Mad
(*)(back when I bought my PM G4 local currency, ARS, was == to USD)
Now that I think about it, my 1.8 GHz G5 is a good investment. It's a first generation G5 but it's better than the current 1.8GHz G5 (faster bus, more RAM, more HD, PCI-X slots).

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Kaamoss
Unregistered

I mac g5s are nice but from what I hear not only are they a bit pricy and about the same performance level as the mac mini the screen is of somewhat poor quality sadley.
Puzzler183
Unregistered

$4000 for a Mac? Jesus. And my $2200 PC will still outperform itRasp.

That's the one reason I don't have a Mac on my desk honestly, is the ridiculous insane price for the not so great performance. Everyone says that they do good for graphics but I see them using old graphics cards and not having good drivers... I dunno. For my money as a coder, a PC is the way to go (for cheaper, and more up to date graphics).
Najdorf Wrote:what about an imac g5? Somebody owns one and can tell?
We just had a thread about that. Wink

---Kelvin--
15.4" MacBook Pro revA
1.83GHz/2GB/250GB
Puzzler183 Wrote:$4000 for a Mac? Jesus. And my $2200 PC will still outperform itRasp.

Oh geez.. like throwing gasoline on a fire Smile

Quote:That's the one reason I don't have a Mac on my desk honestly, is the ridiculous insane price for the not so great performance. Everyone says that they do good for graphics but I see them using old graphics cards and not having good drivers... I dunno. For my money as a coder, a PC is the way to go (for cheaper, and more up to date graphics).

So honestly, and I'm not trying to jibe you or anything, why are you here? Do you do Mac stuff also?

I can't speak for everyone else, but performance was one of my last considerations when I got my first desktop Mac, and ditto when I got my iBook. My blood pressure while using my Mac is like half what it is at work all day where I coder under XP. My battery life way outdoes any PC notebook users I know, except perhaps people with those tiny Vaios. *shrug* I guess you choose your tradeoffs and go with what makes you happy...

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
I may be selling my current Mac (PowerMac G4 dual 867) sometime in the next month. I developed two uDG games on it, and it's in good shape. If there's interest I would consider selling it to someone here rather than go through the hassle of ebay.

Advantages: I'm a known quantity here (longtime member, helped Carlos distribute prizes for iDG 2003, etc.) I can donate the eBay commission fee to iDG. The price would be semi-negotiable, heavily based on what similar systems sell for on eBay, with a small discount.

Disadvantages: eBay is both an auction and a market. It might be possible for you or I to do better by doing our buying/selling through it, if we are willing to take on a little extra risk.

I'm just thinking aloud here. I may decide that going through eBay would be preferable, or a co-worker of mine may express an interest in the machine. (I'm also assuming I can find it's packaging so I can ship it.) But since people are discussing ways of getting reasonably priced Macs for development I thought I'd mention this possibility.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Kaamoss
Unregistered

Sounds cool but I bielieve those retail for almost around 800-850 bucks on e-bay. Deffinitly intrest however so keep me posted if you wouldn't mind. Wink
Kaamoss Wrote:Sounds cool but I bielieve those retail for almost around 950-100 bucks on e-bay. Deffinitly intrest however so keep me posted if you wouldn't mind. Wink

Glancing at the auctions, $750 seems to be typical for my configuration. Mine doesn't have a Superdrive or an upgraded video card like some do.

Anyway this is still tentative. I will post an update in a couple weeks once my plans are more definite.

Max
Puzzler183 Wrote:$4000 for a Mac? Jesus. And my $2200 PC will still outperform itRasp.

Of course my G5 is expensive (or should I say "was expensive"). I bought it August 2003, a few weeks after Apple began production. I couldn't wait... my 7 year old Power Mac 4400 was painfully slow. Sad

EDIT: I forgot to mention - the $4000 also includes my 17" Studio Display and my crappy Epson printer.

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Max Wrote:Of course my G5 is expensive (or should I say "was expensive"). I bought it August 2003, a few weeks after Apple began production. I couldn't wait... my 7 year old Power Mac 4400 was painfully slow. Sad

Indeed, a brand new top of the line pmac G5 (dual 2.7) is listed at $3k on the Apple site. So I'm not sure you can even buy one that expensive right now unless you get a huge Apple LCD panel with it or something Smile

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Max: You should have tried to get a cash rebate, especially for a computer purchase of that size. "If I could pay for this big setup in cash today, how much would you drop off the price?"

And don't wait forever for a Mac mini update... just get it, you'll love it Smile

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Max
funkboy Wrote:And don't wait forever for a Mac mini update... just get it, you'll love it Smile

Mac Mini? I agree, it's a nice little computer but... I have a G5. Why purchase something less powerful?

Kaamoss Wrote:Sounds cool but I bielieve those retail for almost around 800-850 bucks on e-bay. Deffinitly intrest however so keep me posted if you wouldn't mind. Wink

I've just posted a message in the Classified forum- I'm now putting my older PowerMac up for sale. Details here:
http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthrea...#post88568

If noone here is interested of course I'll try eBay...