Can't get a simple fragment program to do... anything at all, really

Sage
So, what kind of error is this?

Code:
program error at line 0:
"!!ARBfp1.0"

I mean, all fragment programs seem to begin with that token. I have to assume it means I've got an error *somewhere* in the program, but where?

EDIT: This is pathetic, I'm just talking to myself now. I might as well just fill my apartment with cats and old newspapers.
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
Is the target of glProgramStringARB set to GL_FRAGMENT_PROGRAM_ARB when you get that error?
Sage
Sad, embarrassing story, actually. I had foobar'd my error reporting mechanism. Once I tracked that down, I was able to find the actual errors.

Anyway, since then, I've given up on using fragment programs to support ATI cards. The shaders worked great on NVIDIA, but not at all on ATI.

So, yesterday I implemented an infinite projection matrix for silhouette extrusion. And, lo, it works. I had to do some finagling to un-infinitize my frustum to a local copy for frustum culling my scene-graph, but it all works. Plus, I get the added benefit of being able to project directional-light shadows to a point at infinity ( instead of having to project a full set of silhouette quads and front and back cappings ) so I save quite a few vertices and tranformation math. Awesome.

I'm still fighting with z-fighting on ATI, but when I get that solved I can post a beta for people to try out and... probably break Rasp
Sage
Scratch that -- z-fighting is fixed on ATI. However, I've got some peculiar fogging issues... and one long-standing bug, that I see "cracks" where terrain patches meet on the ATI card ( I think a 9600 ).

These seem solvable. Plus, will full shadow casting ( e.g., *all* objects -- hundreds of objects ) I get 30 fps min, 60 (capped) average on the ATI ( dual 2.5 g5). Nice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  passing values from vertex to fragment shader Sumaleth 6 10,240 Feb 18, 2011 01:54 AM
Last Post: Holmes
  GLSL fragment program limits on GMA950 (MacBook) memon 12 8,505 Oct 26, 2007 05:18 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  CG Fragment Shaders hangt5 10 6,232 Oct 17, 2005 12:21 PM
Last Post: NicholasFrancis
  A question on fragment shaders, and PBuffers TomorrowPlusX 3 3,166 Jul 5, 2005 04:58 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX
  Multiplying a fragment against values in the alpha channel TomorrowPlusX 2 3,456 May 19, 2005 04:27 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX