Mac "Picture-By-Number" game requested

jmelrose
Unregistered

Hello. There is a whole genre of puzzle games called "Picture-by-numbers" or Cryptopics. There was, at one point, 2 Game Boy Advance games called "Mario's Picross" (1 and 2) that allowed players to take this kind of game on-the-go.

It would be great to have a Mac version of this game. Please see this website for more information about these puzzles: http://www.conceptispuzzles.com.

I'm new to this board, and wasn't sure where to send this idea that it might get some attention by someone who can work some coding magic to make this game a reality. There is a program called "Paint By Numbers" for Mac OS X but the GUI is pretty minimal and there's almost no production value to it. It seems to be abandonware at this point. Mario Picross was a great implementation of the game concept, and it was limited to b/w graphics only. I know other Mac users have posted to some of the game/puzzle forums on the web that they would like to see these kinds of puzzles available on our platform as well, as there are several options for Windows users. (I contacted the author of "Cryptopics" for Windows and he sent me this reply:

"Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the suggestion - it would be nice to be able to make a Mac version, but I'm afraid I have neither a Mac or the knowledge of how to program one (the interfaces to my games use Windows API quite heavily).
Much as I hate them, my best advice is to bite your tongue and get a PC as well, just because there's so much more software available...!
Best wishes,
Yariv Hastilow"

I, of course, have no intention of biting my tongue or anything else AND going to Windows. Clearly that's adding insult to injury!

Thanks in advance for anyone's interest!
J.Melrose
Quote this message in a reply
Hrm - looks interesting, and like something that could easily be done in Cocoa using Quartz for drawing...

Let me take a look into it...
That would be rather simple to knock out if i have the correct meaning of them, some sort of a color by numbers with on black and white and pixels right?

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
I did one years ago (pre SF days) using quickdraw for a Beryl Cook art exhibition at a local museum. The basic principle is pretty easy (although there are many ways to do it). I used a black and white outline version of the picture that was visible. When the user clicked, I referenced the click position to an invisible tracking version of the pic. each different zone was coloured in a unique RGB colour (representing the zone number). When clicked, I made a copy of the zone, colourised it to the new colour and pasted it over its position on the black and white pic.
jmelrose
Unregistered

Hi again. Thanks to those of you who have expressed interest. I know there's a lot of puzzle fans out there who would love to see these and other games which are traditionally "pencil-based" made available on the Mac. Games Magazine had 2 CD-ROMs of puzzles which they translated from their pages to an electronically-solvable format, and they were great especially on-the-go. I wish they would continue doing those, but I'd imagine the audience was kinda limited, especially for physical media distribution. Too bad they don't have a website to explore.

Anyway, here's two other pages of these puzzles which use a browser-based java applet to run. Some people have indicated the puzzles are black/white only, which is true, but they also can have color (as some of these do). At least this might give a little better idea as to what's out there, and how the puzzles work, etc.

http://www.blindchicken.com/~ali/games/puzzles.html
http://pbn.homelinux.com/pbn/

It would be very cool to have the ability to d'load new puzzles (much like Mac Xword) directly into the program, and build-your own. For example, if I could, I would spend the time entering the number values from the puzzles I get with Games Magazine into the program and then the program could generate the picture solution, allowing me so solve it via the software instead of in the magazine. (Does that make sense?) I'm not a developer so I don't know how difficult that would be to implement.

Thanks again to those of you interested in this concept.

Best wishes,
JMelrose
jmelrose
Unregistered

Here is the Versiontracker entry on the one Mac game similar to this. There are notably some good suggestions as to where it could go from its current (kinda sad) state.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10306

Again, thanks.
JMelrose
Wow, seems there's quite the community for this! /me starts taking it seriously.
jmelrose
Unregistered

So, just out of curiosity, is anyone working on this concept? That would be so exciting!
CubeFusion
Unregistered

A long while ago I was working on a game unimaginatively called Picross for the uDevGames contest. I never got anywhere near completing it however, and therefore I forced myself to withdraw the entry. I think I have some screens of what I conceptualized the finished product to look like. I'll see if I can dig some of it up.

Edit: I found it.

[Image: picross_idea.jpg]

Recently I picked up a license for T2D, and I've been thinking of giving Picross another shot. I actually still have all the tile graphics and everything I made stashed away, so at least I wouldn't have to work with MSPaint looking programmer art. I can't promise this will actually go anywhere, but I HAVE been planning this for the past month.
jmelrose
Unregistered

This Picross game looks awesome! Anyone chosen to pick up this concept and run with it? That shot looks sweeeet!
Thanks!
Jeff M
Sage
Its called Tsunami, you can play the SnakeQuest version I made on x http://www.snakequest.com

Oh yeah it works with 4 colors too, the colored version is good because there are more things to think about when doing the puzzles.

I think I will actually (im bored), Ill make it X native and open source (of cource Rasp )
Someone else will need to make it download and upload levels though (and someone needs to host them too), that would be a really cool feature though.

Its going to look somthing like this, but hopefully someone will make some nicer graphics for the edge peices,
[Image: tsunami.jpg]

(You can click in the grid or drag the window with the fingers)

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!
Sage
Started a new thread for this game, in work in progress.

Sir, e^iπ + 1 = 0, hence God exists; reply!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Random number feedback please... MikeC 17 8,296 Oct 31, 2007 06:03 AM
Last Post: Najdorf
  New Game Idea. *Input Requested* Superman2489 14 7,885 Apr 22, 2005 09:49 PM
Last Post: PowerMacX