Help a Noobie? Pretty please?

dmoc
Unregistered

Hello all Rasp I'm a "switcher" so still pretty new to Mac (Panther 10.3.8). I have used SDL before but it was a while back and after trying to solve this problem all day long, and after searching high & low, I finally turn to you my (hopefully) new friends.

Anyhoo, I first installed the 1.2.8 dev package which seemed ok coz I used XCode to compile the built-in Atlantis example. Then I created my own OpenGL test, no textures, and that seemed ok (just a matrix of cubes). Now I want to texture them using either a PNG or TGA file and have dl'ed the SDL_Image package. My first question is if I want the full range of supported file types do I actually need the JPG, PNG and Z packages? Reason I ask is because I would have thought OSX already had plenty of support for these formats? I should also state that I have Fink installed and used it to install SDL runtimes (prior to installing the SDL dev package) - but I'm not sure how Fink figures in the grand scheme of things yet.

Back to SDL_Image, I first uncompressed PBProjects and tried to build the framework target using Xcode but it failed with a lot of errors. I think this was because the project search paths pointed to $(home)/Library/Frameworks/... so I removed the $(home) and also removed the "-ljpeg -lpng" linker flags. Now I have two warnings and one error. The error is "Undefined symbols: _SDL_Error" at the linking stage. Any idea what I'm missing?

In attempting to solve this I have also downgraded SDL to the 1.2.7 version, but with no luck. I have managed to compile SDL_Image from the terminal with the usual make routine but of course this won't give me the framework.

Thanks for reading. All comments welcome.
Quote this message in a reply
first off: Don't ever use the word noob/Noobie. Disgusting word.
Second: if you want the framework, email me at nayryeliab [at] gmail [dot] com

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
If you're using Fink to install SDL and friends I believe you're straying off course; isn't Fink related to X11? If so, it doubt it has much to do with normal Mac OS X coding...

Also, why are you trying to build SDL_image from source when there are... Oh; looks like the SDL_image Mac OS X binaries have followed in the footsteps of SDL_mixer, wherever that went.

Okay, for a limited time only, I've uploaded the SDL_image runtime and development packages here, 1.2.3 only I'm afraid...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
dmoc
Unregistered

Thanks both. I used Marks packages and can now load my images (just need to convert them to an ogl friendly bitmap now). Also managed to compile 1.2.3 from src so there must be a problem in the 1.2.4/6 packages. I'd really like to know where the above linker error comes from, if only to avoid wasting a lot of time again in a similar situation.

Re Fink - from what I've read the libraries obtained/compiled via Fink are linkable to normal code. It's just programs that rely on X that (obviously) need an X server, ie, all non-X apps are completely useable as-is.
I'm not sure what version I just sent you was, but it loads and converts the images just fine.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  SDL got pretty slow on Tiger? Zeeke 17 8,514 Jun 5, 2005 12:29 AM
Last Post: Kevin Lindeman