Post your pics

Tasnu Arakun
Unregistered

diordna Wrote:You're remaking Crystal Quest?!! YAY!!!!
yes Smile . it surprises me that the only crystal quest clone i've been able to find is [url= http://www.bannister.org/software/sdeb.htm]space debris[/url] by richard bannister. after all, it was one of the most popular games back in the good ol' days.

@TomorrowPlusX: legion looks simply awsome! i love the way the models and the landscape are rendered.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Blorx2 Wrote:@TommorrowPlusX: How long do we wait for Legion? What language are Leigion and the robot sim coded in? I like the way Legion looks. Grin

Legion will be done when... well, when it's done. I've got a long way to go, since I guess perhaps I aimed a little high. I'm working on the AI now, and then I've got to do sound, and then I've got to make levels. So a while Wink

Both legion and the sim are written in C++; the brains for the robots you run in the sim are also C++, as a bunch of FSMs using the Subsumption Architecture.

Tasnu Arakun Wrote:@TomorrowPlusX: legion looks simply awsome! i love the way the models and the landscape are rendered.

Thanks!
Quote:yes . it surprises me that the only crystal quest clone i've been able to find is space debris by richard bannister.
I thought that was because the original developer frowned on any direct remakes, although I may be completely confused; if so, just ignore Rolleyes

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Tasnu Arakun
Unregistered

sealfin Wrote:I thought that was because the original developer frowned on any direct remakes, although I may be completely confused; if so, just ignore Rolleyes

well, as far as i know, only the ones that did use their original contents. anyway, i'm not aiming for a direct remake. that would be boring.
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:Both legion and the sim are written in C++; the brains for the robots you run in the sim are also C++, as a bunch of FSMs using the Subsumption Architecture.
Ok, good. I know most of C++. Very confusing to me sometimes. As I look at more sources in it, it seems easier and easier how games are made in it. I'm still surfing my Pockect Reference book sometimes so that I can get used to it (that book was a whopin' ten bucks!!). I found C++ a little harder in Xcode also because you can't make the interface like in Cocoa...well, that's what I get when I use a language that's used in the exact same way on every platform. I'll get used to it. Wink I hope to make a game in C++ soon. One last Legion question: Will this be free or shareware?

@Tasnu Arakun: Glad you did decide to do it! Smile I can't wait to play. Good luck in development. Grin

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
I think there's another CQ remake listed on here: http://www.remakes.org/ Plus a bunch of other remakes of retro games.
Puzzler183
Unregistered

Blorx2 Wrote:I found C++ a little harder in Xcode also because you can't make the interface like in Cocoa...

Erm, I'm not too familiar with Cocoa, but I'm fairly sure that the polymorphism in C++ should cover just about anything OOPy. When you say interface, you do mean something that has only public data and pure virtual methods, right?
I mean that in my experiences with Cocoa and AppleScript (practically useless language AS is), that using IB made it easier to make the interface and that C++ is a little harder because you do it yourself through the code

Welcome to Darwin!
You know you can always design the windows and such in Cocoa and then use C++ for your code, that is the method i am using for my new game, which still dosnt have a name =).

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
You can do that?!?! Ugh...why didn't I think of that in the first place? Thanks for the help with that though...I can't really make any of my own games currently because I kinda enjoy re-programming certain sources to mod some games and other various stuff way too much...

Welcome to Darwin!
@TomorrowPlusX: Legion is looking primo so far... earlier you said you were getting ready to post a build in the "work in progress" section, when can we expect this (approximation Wink) I would be really interested to play it Grin

Edit: I'd also like to ask you a few questions about Hoard and a couple of other misc things, to get in touch you can PM or email me your e-mail addy @ <carbonx@mail.xmission.com> or if you have some other preferred way just send me the info, thanks.

-CarbonX
kodex Wrote:You know you can always design the windows and such in Cocoa and then use C++ for your code, that is the method i am using for my new game, which still dosnt have a name =).

Yes, I'm doing that as well. All of the game code is written in C++ and I have a small set of ObjC classes / IB objects to handle the actual UI (providing a GL context, preferences panel, and such). I have a Windows port going along with it which uses the normal (yucky) Win32 calls straight from C++.

You can freely mix ObjC and C++ in Xcode as long as you name the file .mm but I find that it often causes more problems than it helps -- much easier to just make plain C interfaces between the parts if possible.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
Puzzler183
Unregistered

Oh snap, you meant like GUI's. I was thinking interface as in polymorphism. Yeah, in that case I suppose it would be harder.
@Puzzler183: Yeah, I meant GUIs. Good thing that was cleared up. Grin
@TommorrowPlusX: One last question: What modeller are you using for your models? I like the way they look in gray...very intriguing Sneaky

Welcome to Darwin!
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:Here's some shots of my game, Legion, which I've had *much* help in developing thanks to this forum.
[...]
I'm taking time off the game engine now while I work out the AI for the enemies.

And, to PowermacX, I've also made a robotics sim:
[...]
And a video: http://home.earthlink.net/~zakariya/files/Clumsy_2.mov

Love I love the graphic style of both Legion & the sim!
We should start our own virtualBattleBots... you can borrow the laser weapon from Legion's robot and put it in your legged robot.
(I'll equip mine with a mirror) Rasp