Post your pics

Sage
Blorx2 Wrote:One last Legion question: Will this be free or shareware?

Both will be open source, something liberal, not the GPL.

Regarding modeling, I modeled it in Wings3d, and my mesh code does solid-wireframing by checking the angle between planes. I have harsh lighting with a strong ambient light, so I get the slightly cartoony look, without need for shaders. z-pass stencil shadows help with this.

Regarding when something playable comes out, well, right now you can drive around and shoot things, launch drones, etc. Trees catch fire, which is cool. But there aren't any enemies, so there's not much to it. It plays well on fast hardware, I'm not targeting old hardware, the physics are pretty robust ( I put a lot of work into explosion dynamics, for example, and cascading stuff like setting off a bomb in the center of a forest can cause a forest fire, as burning trees cause their neighbors to go up... ).

It pretty much requires a g4 > 1ghz, and a good graphics card. It plays well on a G4 IBook... The only way I can test it across hardware it to go to an Apple store Wink
Quote this message in a reply
I think that robot wars would be better to have instead of battlebots. Robot wars has fire, the robots are better made (in the UK anyway, may be we're just better roboteers ;P) and the matches are more controlled, with two house robots and two other robots controlled and made by contestants, the aim of the game to win. In robot wars, there is more of a pattern to the different types, such as flipper, razor, spinner etc, so that robots can be made easier. And stuff.
I use Wings3D currently because it's easier for me. Which is good because I can mod your models LOL . I like the idea of open source. Also, if you send me the current playable, I could test it on my G4 700MHz GF2 MX (if you choose to I prefer that you use AIM...kind of a low-end tester thing...I'm not sure my games could work on my com, lol...or at this point, ideas.). Keep us updated, everyone. I hope to have pics of my own games here soon. One question I need to know. I'm better at making my 3D models big and the enviroments at the model's sizes. Can you scale them to fit? It would be useful for me to know, thank you.

Grin -Matt

Last login: Sat Aug 6 09:15:05 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
Matt-Chelens-Computer:~ matthew$
Yes Blorx you will be able to scale models that are imported to your game.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Are you using Cel(l?) Shading? it looks nice with it, and for some reason reminds me of Deep trouble. I'm not quite sure why, because it looks totally opposite. Maybe because it's a vehicle (3rd person) in which you drive around and blow things up?!?!?! Sneaky

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Okay folks, we've gone long enough without a picture. Here's one to kick-start some more:

[Image: coloring.jpg]
I edited pictures from my iPhoto library in Photoshop Elements, trying to create coloring-book style photos. The results are pretty neat, though they're not quite perfect like a professional coloring book. Still looks neat, though.

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Puzzler183
Unregistered

Yeah, I was definetely starting to get annoyed at the lack of pictures... Perhaps I'll post more shaders laterSmile.

@funkyboy: Some sobel edge detection or something else?
Sobel - I just heard of that algorithm yesterday!

Alas, it's much simpler than that - just Photoshop, levels, brightness/contrast, greyscale, find edges (in that order, and repeat a few steps to make it white enough).

KB Productions, Car Care for iPhone/iPod Touch
@karlbecker_com
All too often, art is simply the loss of practicality.
Puzzler183
Unregistered

Ah, then you were using Sobel edge detection and you just didn't know it Smile (it's the most common edge detection algorithm).
Quote:@Bachus: MAN that looks good. I'm happy to see you've kept it up!

Quote:@Bachus: !

Quote:Bachus: Great use of an arena.

Thanks. Grin

More pics in handy befre & after format:

Desert before
Desert after
Graveyard before
Graveyard after

I'm figuring another six to eight weeks to finish.
Those screenshots look really good.
I agree... Bachus, that looks really awesome. The ladybug girl is cute too Smile

I like the coloring book thing a lot too, I'm going to have to try that. My mother in law is a big time scrapbooker (she owns her own store!) and she'd love this stuff.

Well, here are some more pics of my current project, slated for a "first gross cut" release within the next couple of days. The visual/audio chrome is mostly random pieces pulled from other projects, so it's not terribly exciting yet. Smile I've been focusing more on the gameplay, which is shaping up very nicely.

The title screen
Basic game play screen
Finding a marble group to remove
Removal effects

I'll inline one here (finding a marble group) --

[Image: 20050508_play2.png]

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
@Dan Potter, looks a lot like Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab

These have both been out for a while...
shivering kittens
[Image: playing_field.png]

loopTHEloop (unanimously received as "insanely hard"; not good...)
[Image: playing_field.png]

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
sealfin Wrote:@Dan Potter, looks a lot like Burning Monkey Puzzle Lab

Interesting... it looks like we are using a similar board arrangement, but I bet the game play styles are nothing alike (and man do they have some nice polished graphics Wink). Too bad there's not some better screen shots / game info on BMPL.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
@Dan Potter, yeah, I've just noticed quite a major difference between Marbol and BMPL; whereas (in your screenies) only one block drops at a time, as far as I remember, in BMPL the blocks drop in goups of three (although I can't remember the arrangements they drop in; I've only ever played the game on one occasion...)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer