OpenGL SFX

KiroNeem
Unregistered

Ok so I'm going about my game, everything is working fine.... although each time I look at it it seems, well dull. Thats why I am about to add special effects to just about everything I can get away with. I have look online and found a decent bunch of them, but what are some that anyone here finds they use a lot or particularly like?
Quote this message in a reply
Puzzler183
Unregistered

Lens flares are fairly common... Shader effects like cartoon rendering and full screen glow are also fairly common. I was a fan of some of the things Farcry did with your vision when you got flashbanged or shot. Don't go special effects crazy though since generally speaking, you can use that processing power better to clutter your world or add things like bump mapping if you don't have it.
Sage
I'm a big fan of blooms, that always looks nice. Just be careful that you don't burn away all the fill-rate.
If you haven't been there yet, try this site:

http://nehe.gamedev.net/

Lots of great tutorials with plenty of ideas for interesting effects. Also checking out "demoscene" demos is a great way to see what looks good.

Cryptic Allusion Games / Cryptic Allusion, LLC
http://www.cagames.com/
KiroNeem
Unregistered

Well I decided to make a partical system for my game and it really seems to be working out nice. I just need to keep the numbers down, will most likely set up my prefs to have an option to the lifetime of particles and max ammount on screen.

The only particle I have showing now though is shells right now for my macine gun... although with the simple physics and the fact the shell ricochett off the ground it looks really nice. I wanted to take a screenshot but when in fullscreen mode I don't know how to get it. Stupid CFContexts.

DP: NeHe has actually helped out alot when I was first learning OpenGL, so I already know about them, a great resource I might conject. Although I did not know they had demo scenes, I will have to check those out.
Add more flying body parts.

Particle explosions are pretty bad-ass, too. Gradius V and Ikaruga both use em and they look awesome, especially the PS2-crippling boss explosions that take up the whole screen. Oh man.

Game Programming Gems 5 has a pretty in-depth article on particle explosions, down to each separate effect that makes up the explosion, and time cues for all of them. Good stuff.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Gore. Gore. Let's say it again--Gore. UT2K4 has great gore--Flaming body parts!!!!! Grin
Seriously, though--particle engines, glowing parts, big explosions.
It would help if you told us what kind of game you are making.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
KiroNeem
Unregistered

It's almost like Abuse in a sense. You control the movement of your guy with WASD, and you point your turret with your mouse. This is what your guy looks like. [Image: walker.gif] . The animation is slow just because i couldent get it exact with the gif. The walker I did in lightwave then the railgun which is currently on the guy I just made with Photoshop.
KiroNeem
Unregistered

I know this thread is almost dead, but I finnaly got a screenshot.

[Image: screenshot.png]
ok. Have more Enemies, or make it bigger, (I've never played Abuse before, couldn't say whether my advice is good or not). Have a space with stars as a background, and have the shots be thicker. The particles should be slightly bigger, and have a HUD. (score, lives, ammo, level, etc.)

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Looks pretty cool- I'm digging the shading on the player model, although the walk animation looks weird to me. Is it even possible for a four-legger to walk with opposing legs like that? (Maybe you could give it 6/8 and make it crawl around like a bug- could walk on walls, ceilings, etc... just a thought)

Some more thoughts:

- Rotate the shell casings. For bonus points, when they collide with the ground, change their angular velocity depending on their current rotation (I wouldn't bother with making them proper quads as far as physics goes. All you need are the position and rotation and you can fake it just fine.) They'd flatten out and stop bouncing after a few collisions, as if they began rolling.

- Do something to the model when you're on the slope. Either rotate it or have an uphill/downhill animation.

- For an abuse style game the size is fine. I'll want to see some cool aerial combat though. High jumps, jet packs, etc (not really a GFX thing but hey.)

- Add a muzzle flash to the gun. If the model shading is done with code, light up the player model red/orange with the muzzle flash.

- Is the font used in the FPS counter final? I'd change it to something more menacing. It's a little hard to read, and a little too quirky/cute for a shooter.

Throw in some things to blast and give us a build to test out! I want to try it Wink

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
KiroNeem
Unregistered

One thing I have to say though is that this game is still in development so there is a lot missing that I have down in logs. I don't have any enemies yet, no dynamic tiles, no real damage system, havent even added scrolling yet (although that is easy). One thing I want to do is add motion blur to the game at some points, that always looks cool. Expecially since the game is timebased I can even slowdown or speed up the game easily.

I was already thinking of rotating the shells, so no need to mention that. This goes for rotating the the player when he goes up or down hills as well.

As to the player shading that is all pre-rendered actually. Although I plan to add fake lights with triangle fans, for 2D ortho it is much faster then using real lights. ^^ I might even change some thing on him, right now this is just a general temp. Muzzle flash sounds cool though.

No the font is not final, just the only bitmap font I had on my computer.

I'm waiting on a HUD until I have some actual stats to show.
Sage
Ahh, a 2D game.
I'm actually working on a side-scroller as well.

Some more suggestions:
1) there are tons of cool render to texture effects you can easily do in 2D. Ex:
* refraction
* bloom/glow/blur
* RGB seperation
* screen transitions
2) lighting: Example
(it's written in ruby, but it's mostly normal openGL stuff, so it should be readable.)