strange application error

honkFactory
Unregistered

Howdy,
A user of a shareware program has reported a strange problem she received while trying to run my program. When double clicked it to run it, it would instead of running open up like a folder and she would be able to browse the Content folder and all the subfolders that make up a typical app. I then sent her a version that had been compiled using Xcode 1.5 (the older version was with v 1.2 i believe and no other changes were made) and she reported that she got this error

Quote:When I tried to download the file this morning, it did unstuff, but then I got this message.

Last login: Wed Mar 30 17:44:52 on console
/Users/sfs/Desktop/Arcade\ Typing\ Tutor; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
[Stuart's-Computer:~] sfs% /Users/sfs/Desktop/Arcade\ Typing\ Tutor; exit
2005-03-31 06:59:50.988 Arcade Typing Tutor[514] Unable to load nib file: MainMenu, exiting
logout
[Process completed]

Than a day later she wrote me this.

Quote:I GOT IT TO WORK!!!!!!
I dragged it into applications and THEN unstuffed it and it seems to have worked!
I’ll keep you posted to see if it’s for real, but I think the problem is “solved.”

Does anyone have any ideas why it would work when unstuffed in the app folder but not when it isn't? I have the most recent stuffit. We both are running 10.3.8. Any ideas?

- Alex W

Note: With the new forum categories, I no longer know where to post this general programming question. If the moderator thinks it should be moved to a different category go ahead, my feeling won't be hurt. For what its worth, I like the old categories more, not that my 2 cents is worth anything.
Quote this message in a reply
Quote:Does anyone have any ideas why it would work when unstuffed in the app folder but not when it isn't? I have the most recent stuffit. We both are running 10.3.8. Any ideas?

My only guess would be that perhaps she already has a version of your app in the directory where she was unstuffing.

In that case, she'd end up with something like "myapp.app.1" - and of course no matter how many versions you sent her, she'd probably report it wasn't working, because she was probably always clicking on myapp.app

Wade
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  'Unidentified error' error in Xcode scgames 2 3,638 Jun 10, 2006 01:38 AM
Last Post: scgames
  Strange Newton Error Nick 19 8,752 Jul 17, 2005 01:49 AM
Last Post: OneSadCookie