FPS Boasting in Mesh / Skybox enviroment

WakingJohn
Unregistered

Hey,

I've been working on a small program intended to eventually be a 3d game based off a terrain mesh that does not use tiling but instead uses colormaps and mapped detail layers or if speed/cards allow it, bump maps.

I quickly realized to get any amount of detail I can't just go about drawing the entire mesh and all its models at once.

I'm trying to get an idea from people who have done this sort of thing what way is the 'right' way to do it, or has had some sucess in the past. My first thought was the following:

1) Split the mesh into submeshes which are about 8 'cells' x 8 'cells' in size
2) Draw only submeshes near the camera
3) add a sky box at the distance away from the camera that the submeshes end - Always keeping at least half a submesh on the other side of the skybox so it can be 'eased' into when the camera moves and the submeshes don't show up 8cells at a time.
4) Slight fog near the distance of the skybox ?

But, I realize first thoughts are often wrong, and so I'm asking you, is there a better (faster) way? This way is designed primarily for use with a 'flat' mesh as opposed to a rounded earth like mesh. Should I be using a rounded mesh to simulate the horizon instead of this idea? Ideas ? Comments?

The only work i've done with something like this they used submeshes but never had any sort of sky box and did a top downish view and so the issue never came up of what to do with the horizon.

Any help and thoughts on this would be appreciated...
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  how to create a grid / 2D mesh bfarah 1 4,068 Oct 20, 2010 02:22 AM
Last Post: iamflimflam1
  Boolean Mesh Operations and Mesh-Based CSG Oddity007 2 5,665 Feb 13, 2010 03:42 PM
Last Post: Oddity007
  OpenGL ES creating a 2D mesh soulstorm 0 2,995 May 20, 2009 02:37 AM
Last Post: soulstorm
  Spherical Mesh. dave05 8 5,857 Oct 29, 2008 02:53 PM
Last Post: mholg
  Breaking down a concave mesh into convex pieces Willem 5 4,651 Aug 10, 2008 05:49 AM
Last Post: Willem