Second Life http://www.secondlife.com

KiroNeem
Unregistered

If anyone hasn't heard of it yet there is a MM Online game thats growing known as "Second Life". In breif Second Life is more like those old mucks you used to play, or still play, but set in a 3D world running off the Havok engine. Besides being able to walk around the massive landscape that grows with the more player that join, it also acts as a in game 3D modler, and in game scripting. As you walk around the world everything is progessive loading, everything from the streaming audio and video media, to the other avatars running around. And all of this is set into a 65 meg application. There has been countless articles about Second Life that I have seen, just from a development standpoint to actual physiological reviews of how a game life this effects ones sense of identity. I have heard of many people talking how this kind of game should be made, where you just go and do what you want. And normally most of us say the physics engine will fail, or it's just too big of an idea but with Second Life, it seems to work.

I have been playing for a total of 7 days now and I will have to say that I commend the programmers behind this. As for the 3D modeling, even with no previous experience you can easily pick it up. The scripting is somewhere between Java and C, and for it's own language, quite extensive what you can do with it. Right now they are actually holding a 2005 Game Development contest for to make in-game games!. I have seen everything from chess to whole towns devoted to FPSs.

What are anyones thoughts on this type of game? Or If anyone else has played this game what did you think of it?

http://www.secondlife.com
Quote this message in a reply
Wow, that looks really interesting, do you have any additional screen captures of the dev side of it? Its worth looking into though. I'll browse it somemore when I get off work.

Kyle Richter
DragonForged.com
Twitter: @kylerichter
Kind of reminds me of the metaverse (snowcrash anyone)...

There was a long silence...
'I claim them all,' said the Savage at last.
Yeah, I definitely see the similarities to Snow Crash's Metaverse. I would definitely create a Black Sun if I rented some property in Second Life.
I'm tempted to play with this, but only one of two things can happen:
It's crap and I regret wasting any time on it, or
It's not, and it slowly sucks the life out of me until all I'm left with in the real world is a tent, a mac, and a huge pile of empty pizza boxes.
Think I'll give it a miss.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
You know I was at the Apple booth at E3 2001 talking to Rich at Apple about exactly such a game, someone important with mad skills and money must have overheard me.

I think now with my Mac mini, I might actually be able to run this thing...so tempting.
KiroNeem
Unregistered

To give you a feel of how the world can work, here are two screen shot.

Here is a screenshot of me editing a gun model and script..
http://feathers.furrynet.com/Misc/SL/edit.png

Here is a front screenshot of my character.
http://feathers.furrynet.com/Misc/SL/me.png

In game you only can choose between a male or female character model... but you can change that when you equip 3d objects to different parts of your body like I have done here
Well I just tried it out (7 day free trial)
On a 1.4 GHz G4 on Cable modem, it is laggy as hell.
(System requirements 800Mhz for PC, 1ghz for Mac)

After less than three minutes in the tutorial it kicked me out because the "simulation shut down", then the program locked up, eating up all my system resources in the process (mouse movement was dogged, like road kill)

Not a very good first impression.
FiRN
Unregistered

I did the 7 day trial a month or so ago, on a 1.5 yearold 1.25 ghz powerbook. The game lagged pretty often but showed a lot of potential. Basically the in-engine scripting engine allows you to create pretty much anything you want. I wouldn't suggest using it with anything less than a G5 though.

Also they allow conversions between the in game money and real world cash so you can actually get paid for anything you produce and sell in game.
KiroNeem
Unregistered

Yes the major problem with the game is bandwidth and your computer... I mean I just got the 1.5GHz 12'' powerbook and it still only runs at 5-10 frames a second.
I have over 1MBs downstream, I guess I need T1 line to play the game well?