Quicktime help wanted (mov->texture crashing)

that sound again
Unregistered

I'm experimenting with mixing two Quicktime movie files as textures in OpenGL. I've gotten it to work starting from OneSadCookie's excellent QTValuePak (thank you, OSC!), but my app crashes frequently.

I see this problem more with large movies and ones that use codecs that are more CPU-intensive. I can also trigger a crash by causing spikes in processor workload from other apps, messing around with exposé for a minute is a sure way. Movie playback will generally get gradually out of sync as my app doesn't get enough cycles, and finally crash with a SIGBUS error. If I keep it well-fed with cycles, though, it'll generally be stable.

Now, I understand that this type of error comes from trying to address a memory resource that, for some reason, is unavailable or nonexistant. The backtrace after such a crash always points to some function in Quicktime. e.g:

Code:
#0  0x8b0d74fc in finishVideoChunk ()

So I'm thinking that it might be one of the OpenGL-calls (glTexSubImage2D specifically) conflicting with what QT is doing in MoviesTask, as they use some of the same pointers.

That's why I'm asking all you QT-gurus out there

- if that indeed could be the problem, and
- what can be done about it.

Specifically, is there a simple function to ask QT if it's done with decompressing? I'd rather drop a few frames than crash every five minutes..

This is of course all assuming that you can understand my question at all. I'll gladly provide more info if needed.

Thanks & goodnight (5 AM overhere)
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Have you looked at Apple's sample code showing QT movie texturing?
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game crashing and I can't figure out why Tasnu Arakun 4 2,913 Aug 31, 2006 07:43 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie