Adding Cheat Codes to your Mac game

I'm wondering if people would be interested in bring back the classic cheat code. I figure most people put cheat codes in their games, why not start to use something like below?

Quote:1. Konami Code
Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right B, A, Start.

In the 80s, Konami of America and Japan released many games for the Nintendo Entertainment System. Traditionally, programmers would program in hidden 'cheat codes' to help make gameplay easier, which aided especially during late testing periods before commercial launch.

Konami released many popular games on the NES during this era, such as Gradius, Life Force, and Contra. These titles, as well as many subsequent ones, used the same cheat code listed above. Because of it's reoccurence, it became known as 'The Konami Code', and knowing it by heart is one of the trademark signs of a true, old-school gamer.

A common alteration on this code is:
Up-Up-Down-Down-Left-Right-Left-Right, B, A, SELECT, Start.

Many people mentally add in a 'select' in there for one reason only--on the menu screen, pressing select changed the cursor to '2 players' instead of '1 player'. Contra was always more fun to play with a friend.
Source: Ashtar the Fox, http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.ph...onami+Code

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
Quote this message in a reply
Awesome idea. My next game will have em Smile

The Konami code itself became popular again when that whole "Know Your Roots" old-school NES craze exploded. I'd say if you throw that particular code it, it's better as a clever reference that perhaps unlocks an easter egg than an actual cheat code.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
yeah, there was a ref that silent hill 3 has the cheat code, put the main character in his underwear and nothing else.

Justin "LordFire" Baldock

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  If you can cheat in a game, does it hurt the gameplay experience? mercy^4 12 6,056 Jun 3, 2013 05:28 PM
Last Post: SitrepGames
  Cheat Codes kodex 12 7,228 Oct 30, 2006 01:21 PM
Last Post: Krazygluon
  cheat codes aarku 11 6,623 Jan 6, 2004 05:56 PM
Last Post: whogben