Model Format for animation...FBX?

I think i have finally outgrown .OBJ's. I really liked the ease of use and how intuitive the vertice-face-index system was but I want to try to start learning animation and obviously OBJ's fall a little short.

FBX seemed like the next logical choice with all the excitement surrounding it. But there is a noticeable lack of documentation and the format itself seems kind of 'verbose' for my needs. So my questions are:

Is FBX overkill when im probably going to disregard half of the file?... Is there another format you recommend?

If FBX seems reasonable does any body have documentation they could share?... Or be so kind as to explain how FBX stores the geometry of a model.

There was a long silence...
'I claim them all,' said the Savage at last.
Quote this message in a reply
i don't think anyone uses FBX for games well not around here.
Any support for it would come from the company that makes FBX software, ah, Alias acquired Kaydara last year.
the FBX page

There was a discussion in January about developing a new ultimate format, I guess nothing ever came out of that.
Here be monsters..er..the thread
igame3d Wrote:i don't think anyone uses FBX for games well not around here.
Any support for it would come from the company that makes FBX software, ah, Alias acquired Kaydara last year.
the FBX page

There was a discussion in January about developing a new ultimate format, I guess nothing ever came out of that.
Here be monsters..er..the thread

Yeah i saw both of those in my research for a new format...

Alias's site is pretty useless, apparently i need to e-mail them to get any information so i kind of doubt there just handing it out for free.

I really liked the 'universal format', i was sad to see the thread die with out anything coming out of it.

If FBX isnt used... what is?

Its tends to be .obj, or custom format.

Shoot a letter to Alias, find out what you can find out. It can't hurt.
I had an FBX documenation spec pdf around somewhere but it was all farsi to me.
igame3d Wrote:Its tends to be .obj, or custom format.

Shoot a letter to Alias, find out what you can find out. It can't hurt.
I had an FBX documenation spec pdf around somewhere but it was all farsi to me.

Well i sent them an e-mail. Il be sure to post if they send me anything useful.

If anyone is interested i have a very basic FBX (text only) loading class... it cant do animation yet but it loads the geometry fine.

Alias still hasnt responded about the SDK

Yeah post that class, sounds interesting.
Ok, let me comment it up... Il upload later tonight.

DISCLAIMER: I am by all standards a noob programmer. This is what you get when a noob programer works on something for three days. You download and use the following source at your own risk Rasp
-----
As far as i know It can only load Text FBX files generated in Cinema 4d r9, although i imagine it would be incredibly simple to modify it so that it works with other modelers as well.

Animation is 'semi' functional. You can apply multiple transformations on a 'SINGLE' model as long as you don't rotate the model past 90* on any axis (don't ask).

So far it has loaded and displayed any and all geometry iv thrown at it. And with the exception of the glitches previously stated, animation works fine too.

EDIT: by works i mean, it displays key frames at the correct time... interpolation between these key frames is still in the works.

Iv included a simple rotating cube.
Comments, and feedback are greatly appreciated.

My Project Folder

Hey thanks, but WOW, this FBX format is 100% trouble.
The FBX converter crashes when turning an .obj or .3ds to an FBX, writing an empty file.

The FBX quicktime plugin-displays nothing from the cube you provided, none of the plug-in instructions do what they are supposed to either.

The FBX plugin for Wings3D adds no import or export options, guess thats why its beta.

The Carrrara 4.1 demo however does open your FBX file.

The Build of your source works fine. Is the cube rotation an animation or something else?
Its an animation. I created a cube in cinema key-framed a 90* rotation and exported.

Edit: The quicktime plugin can apparently only read binary FBX files.

Interestingly enough, this appeared on Apple's downloads section the same date as the last posts in this thread. Ninja
oh my lord. This could have saved me hours, and hours of work. Thanks for the link.