Torque2D (T2D)

⌘-R in Chief
So I've been looking at Torque2D (I bought it this morning) and it's pretty cool. The tutorial was definitely too short, but informative for the very basics. T2D has a rad particle system and it's designed nicely. Still figuring it out, but everything it does is amazing. Plus what's available now is only the Early Adopter release (full net code, better particle editor and tile editor) still to come, but it's pretty cool. This is the tutorial app: (you should have OpenAL installed though there isn't any sound in the tutorial anyway.)

http://www.freaksw.com/T2DTutorial.sit

As soon as I learn more and do something other than read the docs, systems overviews, and the tutorial and see what I actually do, I'll bust out the "THIS TOTALLY FREAKING ROCKS! NO, REALLY!" but until then I'll just say.... it's pretty darn flippin cool.
Quote this message in a reply
Seems cool in a promising sort of way.
ellrx
Unregistered

Definitely let us know how it works out, and post as many source snippets as you come across them.
Why don't you just buy Torque, and make it 2D? 2d is 3D.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
⌘-R in Chief
By the way, you can download the demo on the garage games website and see the full version of what the tutorial hints at what you can do.

@Ryan: T3D is a biiiig beast with a lot of complex features that are very hard to use. T2D is much simpler to use. Everything is all done in OpenGL so you get all the benefits of that, but it's far easier to use, and everything that you'd end up writing (handling all the textures, layering, tile maps & layers, scrolling, animated sprites, all the physics, all the collision detection with swept polys...) all of that is written for you. It comes with full C++ code so you can add on whatever you want as well.

It's vastly cool beast. But it's still an EA release so the lack of docs at this point is a small nuisance, but the developers are on the forums answering every question every day. It's quite cool.
DavidJJ
Unregistered

FreakSoftware Wrote:By the way, you can download the demo on the garage games website and see the full version of what the tutorial hints at what you can do.

@Ryan: T3D is a biiiig beast with a lot of complex features that are very hard to use. T2D is much simpler to use. Everything is all done in OpenGL so you get all the benefits of that, but it's far easier to use, and everything that you'd end up writing (handling all the textures, layering, tile maps & layers, scrolling, animated sprites, all the physics, all the collision detection with swept polys...) all of that is written for you. It comes with full C++ code so you can add on whatever you want as well.

It's vastly cool beast. But it's still an EA release so the lack of docs at this point is a small nuisance, but the developers are on the forums answering every question every day. It's quite cool.

Hmm, maybe something to look at. I did invest in a Torque license but my meagre skills failed to create anything with it. Something simpler would be nice, for the games I'd like to try to make for/with my seven year old. And since a Mac version of Gamemaker will never see the light of day (unless some Mac programmer wants to untangle 60,000 lines of Delphi code) maybe I'll have a look.
I bought T2D but have not had a chance to spend any real time with it.

It failed to build with the same old audio related problems on my Mac and the Windows version would only build correctly in Release mode and not Debug.

I plan to spend some time with it this weekend if no real world stuff gets in the way.