converting xyz rotation to something else

Hi all
I need to convert a rotation that is stored in the format xyz where x is the angle of rotation about the x axis, y the rotation about the y axis, z about z, and the rotations are preformed in that order.

I need this rotation in either an axis-angle, a euler angle, or matrix, it does not matter which.

Does anyone know how to do this? I'm currently looking over maths pages but without a huge amount of luck.

Cheers,
David

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
Quote this message in a reply
Luminary
that's already euler angles...

probably the easiest is to treat it as three axis-angle rotations, generate 3x3 matrices for each, and multiply the matrices to get the combined rotation matrix.
it seemed from what I read that the euler angles I have to convert to were zxz...
But yeh, that sounds good, I've tried genertaing the matrix all at once, but I think I do need to generate all 3 and multiply them all together. Cheers.
David

kberg
Unregistered

If you know you need to multiply all three together beforehand (and may be doing this a lot) it may be worth the time to pop open maple or matlab and work out the coefficients. I've done it in the past when I was trying to work an algorithm to break a matrix back into euler angles, and IIRC the resulting matrix wasn't all that bad. I think 5 terms at most for a given element in the resulting 3x3 matrix, but much cheaper then doing 3 full matrix multiplies.

[edit: even without maple it would probably take only a few minutes to work out by hand..]
Hog
i have this strange algorithm for applying 3 rotations on the rows of the canonial basis (here its on the columns and transposing at the end), i think i should try to simplify this sometime.

Code:
column[0] = Vector3f(1,0,0);
column[1] = Vector3f(0,1,0);
column[2] = Vector3f(0,0,1);

for(int i = 0 ; i < 3 ; i++) {

column[i] = Vector3f(
            column[i].x,
            cos(x)*column[i].y + sin(x)*column[i].z,
            cos(x)*column[i].z - sin(x)*column[i].y );    

column[i] = Vector3f(
            cos(y)*column[i].x - sin(y)*column[i].z,
            column[i].y,
            cos(y)*column[i].z + sin(y)*column[i].x );

column[i] = Vector3f(
            cos(z)*column[i].x + sin(z)*column[i].y,
            cos(z)*column[i].y - sin(z)*column[i].x,
            column[i].z );
}    
T();
Puzzler183
Unregistered

I'd think that just concatenating 3 quaternions and then converting to a matrix would be the fastest way to do that. It would probably also be the fastest way to get angle axis. And it would be the fastest way to get a quaternionGrin.
Thanks guys, this worked in the end. It does not need to be fast at this stage as it is only when called once per model at load time. (The matrix order is a bit funny because of the way ODE seems to need it)
David
Code:
rotationMatrix[0] = cos(y) * cos(z);
        rotationMatrix[4] = cos(y) * sin(z);
        rotationMatrix[8] = -sin(y);
        rotationMatrix[3] = 0;

rotationMatrix[1] = sin(x) * sin(y) * cos(z) + cos(x) * -sin(z);
        rotationMatrix[5] = sin(x) * sin(y) * sin(z) + cos(x) * cos(z);
        rotationMatrix[9] = sin(x) * cos(y);
        rotationMatrix[7] = 0;

rotationMatrix[2] = cos(x) * sin(y) * cos(z) + sin(x) * sin(z);
        rotationMatrix[6] = cos(x) * sin(y) * sin(z) + -sin(x) * cos(z);
        rotationMatrix[10] = cos(x) * cos(y);
        rotationMatrix[11] = 0;

Puzzler183
Unregistered

One quick thing - since you use sin(x) and friends multiple times, you should just store them in temporary variables instead of recalculating. I know it doesn't need to be fast, but still...
Luminary
Check the generated code first -- GCC should be "smart" enough to elide multiple identical calls to trig functions. Dunno if it really is though Smile
kberg
Unregistered

Probably depends on the debugging level. I would actually hope that it doesn't at the -O0 level as that might cause confusion over line numbers. At -O2 I would really hope so!

In general I make it a practice to precalc and cache multiply used trig functions or inverses of denominators in code.
Puzzler183
Unregistered

Yeah, it should be.... I always just do it though because I don't know if GCC is smart enough and I work with other compilers. Not to mention how old habits die hard Grin .

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Converting (x, y) into NESW direction unknown 19 10,574 Nov 2, 2005 09:52 AM
Last Post: Zekaric
  Converting Int To String Nick 4 14,311 Jun 2, 2005 02:13 AM
Last Post: hangt5
  Converting strings to functions Joseph Duchesne 10 5,518 Feb 23, 2005 11:42 PM
Last Post: Skorche