Flash or C++?

komodo
Unregistered

I am about to get serious and learn something be it flash or C++ or whatever. My question is, which should i learn? Not just for games, but for lifetime skills that I can use? I am really graphically oriented, so I am leaning toward flash. Flash also seems like a better idea because you can do websites with it. Any ideas or suggestions?

komodo
Quote this message in a reply
Bleh, there have been a lot of discussions like this recently in the forum – just search the forum – but I'd suggest the cross-platform Processing; Processing borrows syntax from C++/Java, is well documented, and allows you to export projects as Java applets for embedding in webpages...

You'll have to email the authors for a copy though, as Processing is still in development (not that it is unstable; just unfinished.)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Learn C/C++ as it is the basis for most current programming languages. Once you know that it will help you in getting to know Flash ActionScrtipt and Java/Processing.

However, do not thing of Flash as an evironment for "real" programs (be it games or others). It's mostly used for websites or as a visualisation tool.

Also, Flash and Processing are crossplatform, but as I said they are mostly used for websites.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
I bet if you pick flash you will find it empty and wont be able to do half the things you wanted to be able to do... learn a real language. and not C++ do C or Obj-C

i started with Obj-C LOOK AT ME IM NORMAL! Wacko Wacko Wacko
Actually, you can do a lot with Actionscript 2.0, which is part of Flash MX 2004. The main problem is that the Flash rendering engine on the Mac is really slow. Compare a Flash movie on a comparable PC and Mac and you'll see what I'm talking about.
monteboyd Wrote:Actually, you can do a lot with Actionscript 2.0, which is part of Flash MX 2004. The main problem is that the Flash rendering engine on the Mac is really slow. Compare a Flash movie on a comparable PC and Mac and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I agree about the speed thing. The weird thing is that when I was in transition from Mac OS 9 to Jaguar, I noticed Flash was a _lot_ faster in OS 9. I thought at the time it might have been a double/triple buffer thing or something, but it isn't that much faster with Quartz Extreme.

-Jon
Also the irc room is sometimes helpful (unless eric or I is there)

xChat go to freenode.net and do /join #idevgames