Generating Skybox Images in Photoshop

Sage
Is there an efficient way in Photoshop to create the skybox texture? I want to just make one image and break that apart to create the five I need. I thought about it for a while but can't really come up with anything. Thanks for any help.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
First you need several very wide angle photos in the primary directions. Otherwise you'll get a very bad and distorted looking skybox.
Founder
This sounds like a good idea for a small utility.

* Load in the image
* Use a snap-to-grid tool to outline the boundaries of the various views (ie top, etc)
* Drag the name of the view to each "slice"
* Click "Render" and the utility exports an image for skybox use. Smile

To make it even better, have the ability to generate skyboxes within the app. For example, a very very basic version of the Bryce interface to create skies.
* Set cloud type
* Set density of clouds
* Set color of clouds
* Set day time/night time
* Set sky color
* Set haze
and so on...

All of the above can be done with various tools, but if one small app could do it all.... Grin

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Sage
That's what I was hoping to have. I don't have a base image to be broken up. I need to generate this image. I can use Photoshop to break up images but can one generate the image in Photoshop? Or if someone does make this utility, please post about it.
kberg
Unregistered

Carlos: I believe terragen has the ability to do most or all of those things. I've used it in the past to make sky boxes and it worked great! Smile

[edit: from your one app list that is..]
Founder
Good tip.

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Sage
kberg Wrote:I believe terragen has the ability to do most or all of those things.

I was just hoping for a way to create the images in Photoshop so that I could get exactly the look I wanted and then be able to tweak little things later. I'll try terragen for a while but from my quick experience it didn't look like what I wanted.
kberg
Unregistered

Yeah, I understand.. I was just pointing out that Terragen could do lots of the things Carlos was talking about for his app.

Creating a skybox in photoshop won't be easy. You could create a panoramic sky scene 4:1 ratio and make sure that it tiled seamlessly horizontally. I have no clue as to how one would go about manually creating the top of the skybox though, definitely beyond my artistic abilities!
kberg
Unregistered

Wow, I hadn't seen this before:

http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/~pbourke/terrain/tgs/

<edit: darn, don't see a DL link anywhere though...>
jamie
Unregistered

This was just posted at Garage Games, may be of some interest here:

http://www.pocorev.com/stl/

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Photoshop sizing and dpi Chamse 5 8,769 Apr 13, 2011 10:35 PM
Last Post: Anomalous Interactive
  Photoshop Sprites With Alpha Channel Nick 22 17,784 Nov 26, 2006 06:25 PM
Last Post: jarfish
  Your favorite Photoshop tutorials Carlos Camacho 6 5,923 Nov 18, 2005 04:08 AM
Last Post: Fenris
  Photoshop transparency/alpha channels willman256 17 11,967 Oct 29, 2005 05:21 AM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX
  Creating anti-aliased sprites in Photoshop Malarkey 9 10,894 Mar 7, 2005 09:52 PM
Last Post: arekkusu