New Direction for "21-Days Later" Contest

Founder
It is ironic that on the day I am going to announce a change for our "21-Days Later" Mini-Contest, Matt did me a favor and posted the thread "Proposal: reduced prizes for future uDG contests." So while we get uDevGames under control (keep talk of uDG to THAT thread), I am moving to make 21-Days Later (shorthand is?? 21DL ??) a better event.

You can get the scoop at this link:
http://www.spymac.com/forums/showthread....did=151499
Rasp

Note the last line. Yes, Pangea Software (pangeasoft.net) has agreed to be a sponsor of our 2nd mini-contest. In exchange for promoting Brian's book, we will get 3 prizes for the top 3 games. You can choose either :

Pangea Software's Ultimate Game Programming Guide for Mac OS X
http://www.pangeasoft.net/book/index.html

or

PANGEA SUPER PACK
http://www.pangeasoft.net/superpack/index.html

This is a win-win situation for you (developers), Pangea, iDevGames, and the gamers who will enjoy the mini-racing games.

Now, unlike uDevGames, 21DL will stay small, and I will always look for just a SINGLE sponsor. (ie brought to you by <company>) I think this is a pretty cool development for our community. I have always felt that my role should be to motivate the masses, and to also get cool things into the hands of the masses to help them make cool games. Grin Unlike uDevGames, working with a single sponsor makes things much more manageable -- key from my side of things.

It is possible that the themes might be tied into the background of the sponsor. For example (ONLY AN EXAMPLE), if Apple were to sponsor 21DL, then perhaps the theme would be "apples" (fruit).

I should also mention that the sponsor for the NEXT 21-Days has already been decided on, and the theme. (Cool sponsor and cool theme.)

Well, I hope this news bring a smile to everyone's faces and that we have more of you sign up to enter "Accelerated."

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Quote this message in a reply
⌘-R in Chief
Don't let David Rosen see this...
This is great.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Wonderful. Now I might HAVE to enter Wink
If I enter I will have to do the game in 14 days or less. I'm currently in exams until the 2nd of february Sad

Oh well, I'll see...

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
yea, I was in the middle of something, then I saw the file size thing... Sad

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Carlos Camacho Wrote:It is possible that the themes might be tied into the background of the sponsor. For example (ONLY AN EXAMPLE), if Apple were to sponsor 21DL, then perhaps the theme would be "apples" (fruit).

I should also mention that the sponsor for the NEXT 21-Days has already been decided on, and the theme. (Cool sponsor and cool theme.)

The only problem with this is that you have to make the themes a past-tense verb... :/

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Appled!
Supermodelled!

"Minied!"

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Malarkey Wrote:"Minied!"

Playing through the Minish Cap now; there's a lot of cool things people could do with this theme Smile

Also, for some reason I feel compelled to suggest "Zombified."

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
A theme could also be an SDK, I suppose. So if Apple wants to push .Mac integration, or say a hardware firm wants to push their forcefeedback SDK, that could be a contest right there.

I almost entered this 21 days, and I have an idea that might end up getting made anyway, but I MUST concentrate on Snowball! Grin (Curse World of Warcraft, I can't get anything done in the real world! Plus... there is this other big impending event in my life...)

Anyway, this is a great turn of events for 21 days and I know I'll be entering another one in the future because I just can't shake that last place scar from the last one. Wink

That idea for a ".mac integration" theme is stellar, and very timely as Apple just released an updated SDK. Plus, it would make people think in creative ways in how to use it for games...

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
The only prob with .Mac SDK is that only people with .Mac could enter. Unless we could snarf some loaner accounts for the duration of the contest.

Rendezvous might be another idea. Although, can you easily test it without a 2nd computer on your network? Guess it depends what you do with it... Maybe Freeverse, if they wanted to get some programmers to play with a hypothetical GameSmith SDK.

Anyway, congrats to Carlos for opening up 21 days to themed sponsorship. Neat idea.

MattDiamond Wrote:The only prob with .Mac SDK is that only people with .Mac could enter.

This is not really a problem. Why should certain contests not run because some people cannot enter? Only people with spare time can enter the contests but that does not mean there is no contest because some people have no spare time.

Out of interest I wonder how many people here actually have a .Mac account? I do and I would be lost without it.