Z-fighting of shadow volumes on ATI 9600

Sage
So, I've been developing my game on a powerbook with an NVIDIA 5200 Go card. My stuff looks good, there. I've tested recently, against a GF4MX and a G5 with an ATI 9600.

Well, the ATI shows *significant* z-fighting in the shadow volumes. here's a pic, which will be followed by an explanation of my setup:

[Image: z-fightin.jpg]

So, I'm using z-fail shadows, which require that the shadow volume be capped at front and back. Easy enough! But, the front caps have to be pushed a little away from the camera so as not to cause z-fighting with the front-facing occluder geometry. Again, easy enough! I thought.

Here's the relvant code:

Code:
void Geometry::drawShadowVolumeImmediate( void )
{
    vec3 point;

glBegin( GL_QUADS );
    for ( int i = 0; i < _shadowVolumeTop; i++ )
    {
        point = _shadowVolumePoints[i];
        glVertex3f( point.x, point.y, point.z );
    }
    glEnd();

/*
        Caps need to be pushed *backwards* in depth buffer so
        as to eliminate z-fighting with occluder geometry
    */

glEnable( GL_POLYGON_OFFSET_FILL );
    glPolygonOffset( 1.0, 1.0 );

glBegin( GL_TRIANGLES );
    for ( int i = 0; i < _shadowCapTop; i++ )
    {
        point = _shadowCapPoints[i];
        glVertex3f( point.x, point.y, point.z );
    }
    glEnd();

glDisable( GL_POLYGON_OFFSET_FILL );    
}

This works *fine* on an NVIDIA 5200 and GF4MX. But not on the ATI. Can anybody tell me what I'm screwing up here? This ought to be simple.
Quote this message in a reply
Oldtimer
I can honestly say that I know very little about the parameters to glPolygonOffset, but 1 and 1 seem a bit low. Also, I suppose that is what it breaking, since the actual equations used by glPolygonOffset is implementation-dependent. Check the man page, and then set both to 10 just to try it out.
Sage
I'm going to give this a shot. Problem is, I don't have direct access to the machine -- it's a work machine, and it's hard to find time when I'm at work and I can test my sideproject Wink
Sage
I figured it out! But I haven't fixed it yet... one of those walking-home-from-work eureka moments. It turns out I'm not correctly binding a fragment program which mimics the functionality of GL_NV_DEPTH_CLAMP correctly. It explains the results...

Has *nothing* to do with what I thought the problem was.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2d shadow blending problems tesil 1 5,705 Mar 17, 2011 10:12 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Replacing edges with degenerate quads (for shadow volumes) Coyote 9 7,742 Jan 15, 2010 07:08 PM
Last Post: Coyote
  Shadow Mapping - Self-Shadowing Z-Fighting Artifacts Bachus 16 21,488 Feb 11, 2009 12:24 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Occlusion query code failing on ATI 9600 TomorrowPlusX 4 5,472 Mar 10, 2007 08:52 AM
Last Post: arekkusu
  GPU shadow volume extrusion with GLSL TomorrowPlusX 12 13,004 Jan 24, 2007 03:21 PM
Last Post: JoNo21