Xbox2 SDK on Macs?

Nibbie
Maybe old news but i just noticed that. Seems quite cool!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_pag...v&aid=3039
Quote this message in a reply
It also means that Microsoft has or is working on a PPC version of Windows, which is just a strange concept. This isn't the first time though. There was a version of Windows NT for PPC that Microsoft pulled the plug on.
Sage
I wouldn't count on it really being available for Macs.

Sure, it'll run on PPC, since that's what the next XBox will have, but it's really just going to be a special version of Windows ( albeit on PPC ).

Microsoft has *no* interest in supporting Macs, outside of their Office packages.
Max
geezusfreeek Wrote:It also means that Microsoft has or is working on a PPC version of Windows, which is just a strange concept. This isn't the first time though. There was a version of Windows NT for PPC that Microsoft pulled the plug on.
Nope. Microsoft didn't "pull the plug". The operating system really is Windows NT. Microsoft always kept it's PowerPC Windows NT up to date with the latest Apple gear. Makes you wonder what they're up to... Huh

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.
Yeah, I don't think MS has any designs on releasing Windows for the Mac any more than Apple wants to release OS X for the PC. Neither of those moves make much sense IMHO. Microsoft really seems to be acting more like Apple lately with their foray into building hardware and controlling the software on it. I think the Xbox is an amazing little machine and a Windows Media Center (or whatever they call it) is a likely success somewhere in the future with the knowledge gained and product exposure from their Xbox exploits. I *like* being able to get rid of my cd player and dvd player from under the TV and just use the Xbox instead.

Still, this has some interesting implications. The most interesting to me is that DirectX is being optimized for PowerPC as we speak. Would they possibly ever release DX for the Mac? I don't think so since it would risk losing another argument that consumers have against buying a Mac. However, what about the fact that many game developers will soon be speaking the language of optimized PowerPC code? Now *this* could mean something I think. One of the largest complaints I've heard about is developers' lack of understanding of how to make their code optimized for the PowerPC since they've spent their entire careers doing it for the x86. So then they just say they weren't able to get it to work right on the Mac, and they abandon the idea of porting their game. Could the Xbox2 breed a new generation of coders that implicitly understand the PowerPC better, and thus are more willing to share their creations on the Mac? They'd already be doing all of their development on a Mac. Would this also imply that using Maya for content creation might grow even more? Would this imply that 3D Studio Max might seriously look into being ported to the Mac?

Another interesting thing to me is wondering how this will affect supplies of G5 chips for Apple from IBM. Will it suffer because of production being shifted toward meeting the demands of the Xbox2? Is Apple in on the investment with IBM to develop these chips for Microsoft? Will they get a piece of the action? Is it ultimately going to lower the price of G5 chips for Apple? Might Apple also be able to take advantage of the same six processor multi-core chip that MS gets to use for the Xbox2? All kinds of interesting scenarios may be there in the future with this.
⌘-R in Chief
IBM getting more low cost desktop and portable Power4/Power5 derivative chip business is definitely a good thing. The ideas about the implications of developers being united with PPC are interesting ones.
Sage
I agree with AnotherJake -- this will probably bring PPC optimizations out of the ghetto. However, I don't think there will be supply issues. My optimistic guess is that everybody will benefit. IBM G5 chip production will ramp up and prices will lower. Who can complain?

Anyway, there's no chance in hell MS will release a DirectX for Mac, for any number of reasons, not the least of which being that MS isn't interested in giving gamers a reason to jump platform ( unless it's to the XBox Wink. Furthermore, DirectX is *massively* tied to deep Windows APIs like COM and so on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Intel Macs and 3d modellers krazygluon 6 3,393 May 19, 2006 01:07 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake
  OpenGL Intel macs. Coin 9 4,013 Apr 2, 2006 07:06 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Got SDL working on intel macs LWStrike 5 3,403 Mar 31, 2006 07:37 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie
  Java on Intel macs princec 5 3,356 Feb 12, 2006 09:00 PM
Last Post: Skorche