beginning opengl

The aux headers are in the older version of the Red Book (v 1.1 available online). However, for some reason you can't get those headers anyway from the SGI ftp servers.

According to the red book:
Quote:First, use ftp to go to the host sgigate.sgi.com, and use anonymous as your user name and your_name@machine as the password. Then type the following:
cd pub/opengl
binary
get opengl.tar.Z
bye

The newer versions of the redbook don't use aux, so that is why you probably weren't sure.

Jericho
Quote this message in a reply
Do You really recomend Xcode? Because I can only get the 2002 version because I only have OS 10.2.8. And 300 megs on a modem would take awhile. I did a search on my computer for XCode and I could not find it. And is there a place I can get a newer version of the red book?
vbuser1338 Wrote:Do You really recomend Xcode? Because I can only get the 2002 version because I only have OS 10.2.8. And 300 megs on a modem would take awhile. I did a search on my computer for XCode and I could not find it. And is there a place I can get a newer version of the red book?
Xcode is only available for Mac OS X 10.3 and higher. For older OSs, use ProjectBuilder.
what should I use to learn opengl then. Either with project builder or codewarrior. I got redbook version 1.1 but someone said thats kindof out of date using <aux.h> and that stuff. What should I use then?
Try NeHe's tutorials.
vbuser: I'm not trying to be rude, but from the manner in which you post I tend to think that you don't have as much experience as you say you do.

First of all, slow down a bit and read the (rather informative) posts that people are giving you.

A good start would to get a good handle on a language. To do this, you'll most likely need GCC (an open-source compiler). You need to get the Developer Tools. If you bought your copy of OS X (which I certainly hope you did), It's on a CD in the package. Otherwise, you can download the latest tools from developer.apple.com. If you're in 10.2.8, you'll need Project Builder. >10.3 you can use XCode. Yes, it's a large download.

After that, get the hang of working in the development environment, and choose your language. Then check out this thread again and start working through those links *slowly* - try to absorb as much as you can. Then experiment.

Let us know how it goes!
ravuya Wrote:Try NeHe's tutorials.

I don't think this is a good starting place for *mac* users that don't
have Cocoa/xCode experience.

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
fine then don't help. I got it working now.
⌘-R in Chief
Dude, you've got a thread with 20 responses in it. Don't get all upset because you're not getting instant hand holding. Find a way to get PB or Xcode, and you'll be golden. Go check out the NeHe tutorials (Binary... they're the best place on the internet to learn OpenGL and there are a million versions of the code there for all different development environments and languages so just chill). If you have questions ask. Maybe no one will answer them now though...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Beginning 2D Graphics Programming Three 5 4,813 Jan 18, 2009 02:48 PM
Last Post: chicknstu
  Beginning ARB vertex programs dfmoore 1 2,866 Sep 24, 2005 02:45 PM
Last Post: lightbringer