Reiner's Tilesets: free sprites and tiles!

I just ran across this website: http://www.reinerstileset.4players.de:1059/ (he warns the domain maybe changing soon) by an artist and game developer who has made available lots of mostly isometric sprites (people, vehicles, objects...) and tiles (grass, road, backgrounds...) free for anyone to use. In his words:
Quote:Everything here is Freeware, and can freely be used to create Games, etc ... no need to ask for permission . All files are zipped. So you need a Zip Software to extract the stuff. Winzip or Ultimate Zip for example . You can find some tips about the Sets in the Readme Section.
It looks like some good stuff there.

Chris Burkhardt
Quote this message in a reply
I've seen that site before, and one problem is(or atleast where, haven't checked if he has changed) that he doesn't use antialiasing and alphamasks, which IMO would make it look alot better.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
You mean he somehow doesn't use alphamasks while ceating the sprites? Or the final bitmaps don't have alphachannels? If the latter, and you want a part of an image to be transparent, then can't you add that yourself? I've mostly just looked at the little sample jpegs on the website, but everything seems pretty smooth.

Anyway, they are all a lot better than any of my coder-art! It is nice of him to share with everyone Smile

(http://www.reinerstileset.de/ might be more permanent. Also, thanks to whoever fixed my multiple post of a new thread -- I couldn't connect to idevgames for about 20 minutes there and didn't know if it went through or not :-\ )

Chris Burkhardt
really? i've been conecting about every five minutes.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
Chris Burkhardt Wrote:You mean he somehow doesn't use alphamasks while ceating the sprites? Or the final bitmaps don't have alphachannels? If the latter, and you want a part of an image to be transparent, then can't you add that yourself? I've mostly just looked at the little sample jpegs on the website, but everything seems pretty smooth.
I'm not speaking(writing, whatever) about that I want something to be transparent, but that he doesn't seem to have antialiasing on when he renders the sprite(so the sprites don't have antialiasing on internal borders), nor have alphamasks so that the sprite has antialiasing when you put them in a game(that might be becouse perhaps most of Clickteams products doesn't support it)[/quote]

Chris Burkhardt Wrote:Anyway, they are all a lot better than any of my coder-art! It is nice of him to share with everyone Smile
Yeah, it is Smile

Chris Burkhardt Wrote:(http://www.reinerstileset.de/ might be more permanent. Also, thanks to whoever fixed my multiple post of a new thread -- I couldn't connect to idevgames for about 20 minutes there and didn't know if it went through or not :-\ )
I fixed it, didn't seem neccisary to have two threads Wink And I didn't have any trouble connecting at the moment atleast, so who knows what happened Rasp ?

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Heh, it's been sluggish all day for me... must be something on my side of things.

Ah, yes, sounds like a limitation of his tool. Do you have experience with the Clickteams program he uses? I would like to learn a modelling tool, but I'm not sure where to start.

Chris Burkhardt
Clickteam doesn't make 3D modellers/renderers etc, they make software to make games(99% for the PC), so I have no idea what 3d app he's using.

Modelling you say? Hmm, I don't know really, I "learned" Cinema 4D a couple of years ago and then I've stuck to that, but I'm rather sure there are better or just as good products(and certainly cheaper, some even free) out there.

ERaZer Wrote:Clickteam doesn't make 3D modellers/renderers etc, they make software to make games(99% for the PC), so I have no idea what 3d app he's using.
Oh, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up. It seems he uses Caligari's Truespace to actually create the sprites (http://www.caligari.com/). It looks easy to use, and good for game graphics, but $595. Cinema 4D is steep price-wise also. I guess I'll look into some of the Free/open-source modellers/renderers I keep hearing about and hope I can handle the learning curve. In the mean time I'm always happy to find free resources on the Web Love

Chris Burkhardt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Programmer looking for freeware tilesets download link_jr97 14 7,510 Sep 29, 2004 08:00 AM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Drawing Iso Tiles With Height? CarbonX 1 2,960 Sep 15, 2003 07:01 PM
Last Post: Steven
  Good sites with free sprites Najdorf 14 11,608 Feb 18, 2003 11:15 PM
Last Post: Bachus