Making an online text based rpg

Obliterate
Unregistered

Hi people,

I wish to make an online RPG with some of my mates, we have been thinking about it for a while and now are going to attempt it! Wow

I would like some advice on what you people out there think would be the best langauge to use( Please bear in mind that we wish it to turn out like http://www.dark-future.org and http://www.after-death.net - take a look at them if your not sure what they are like you will have to make an acount but there both worth playing, good games, dark-future is my favourite.) Something along the lines of how those games are is how we want ares to turn out. So there will be much more use of text than pictures and graphics. Also we will be making the game on PC.

Any help is very welcome, also if you want to post an ideas like names for the games and things it could have in it then your help towards us is very welcome!

Thanks all and i hope to hear from some of you very soon Smile .

Obliterate
Quote this message in a reply
From a cursory glance, looks like both of those games run on the same engine anyway...
I'd suggest you investigate PHP, coupled with MySQL for keeping track of values in the game/scenario; that coupling should probably fufil your requirements.
Happily, PHP is an interpreted language, so a compiler is not necessary, whether you code on a Mac, Linux, or Windows...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
If you want it to be accessible to the greatest number of peeps PHP with MYSQL is def the way to go. Its easy, and intuitive.

You could do something a little more 'fancy' with flash and mysql but that would probably be way overkill if its simply text based.

There was a long silence...
'I claim them all,' said the Savage at last.
Obliterate
Unregistered

Thanks for the replys so far, does anyone know any sites that i can find a bit of help on PHP and MySQL just to give me a bit of a hand.

Any more help is welcome though Smile

Thanks

Obliterate
here is a php fourm

http://forums.devshed.com/f5/s
IronWallaby
Unregistered

I would suggest PHP/Python/Perl/Ruby/Lua, whatever you feel comfortable with, for the server backend -- lots of people here like PHP, if you like it, run with it.

I would also suggest you use Javascript to build the client-side interface. Without Javascript, you will have a very static, uninteresting page. If you use Javascript (perhaps using XMLHTTP), you can build a very dynamic, interesting interface that will attract attention and make it easier to use. You could even build it such that you don't need to reload a page!
IronWallaby Wrote:I would suggest PHP/Python/Perl/Ruby/Lua, whatever you feel comfortable with, for the server backend -- lots of people here like PHP, if you like it, run with it.

I would also suggest you use Javascript to build the client-side interface. Without Javascript, you will have a very static, uninteresting page. If you use Javascript (perhaps using XMLHTTP), you can build a very dynamic, interesting interface that will attract attention and make it easier to use. You could even build it such that you don't need to reload a page!

If i could just piggy back for a moment Smile

Once you get started and are really comfortable with PHP, i would take a look at this...
http://developer.apple.com/internet/webc...frame.html
remote scripting allows you to dynamically update content without reloading the page. This simple iFrame method is extremely easy to understand/implement, although basic javascript is required.

I was able to teach myself PHP/MYSQL in a very short time (I am NO programming guru). If your planning on creating this with partners i would HIGHLY suggest doing group learning sessions. I cant tell you how much faster i learned this stuff when my friend was next to me trying to figure it out aswell.

if you have any questions feel free to ask. Smile

Negative
Unregistered

http://www.php.net

This site is better as a refference point than a learning center, but whenever I get stuck it always helps me out. MySQL is a necessity when creating any thing user based, and when you get a server for this project make sure you get phpmyadmin or you will be seriously fucked, especially if you are just starting out Grin .

A suggestion to building this project is to build off of an existing forum structure like phpBB or vBulletin if you have the money, and using their user creation and thread displaying php applications to cut down on alot of the work you would have to do. But before you can think of all that, you have to PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE.
phpmyadmin is an absolute must, If your 'renting' a server from a (decent) web hosting company you shouldn't have to worry about installing it though.

I would have to disagree with using phpBB or vBulletin. If you cant figure out how to create a user management system your def not ready to create a game. Looking at and modifying code is a great way to learn but nothing will teach you more then attempting to create something yourself. Plus it usually becomes just messy when trying to fit something that massive into your system.

good ol' home grown code always ends up looking/feeling better.

IronWallaby
Unregistered

In response to HangT: The better way to do it is the XMLHttp object. iFrame scripting is rather hackish, it's much cleaner to do it with XMLHttp. The downside? It's not as backwards compatible. iFrames have existed since long ago, XMLHttp is fairly recent. It does, however, work in MSIE, Safari, Mozilla/Firefox/Camino, and Opera, to my knowledge, so it should be safe enough for most purposes.

http://developer.apple.com/internet/webc...tpreq.html
IronWallaby Wrote:I would suggest PHP/Python/Perl/Ruby/Lua
I DON'T SUGGEST Lua!!!!!!
(even though it is used in some 3D engines I still DON'T SUGGEST IT!!!)

Global warming is caused by hobos and mooses
Obliterate
Unregistered

Hi again all,

well im sertainly getting some interesting help here and thanks to you all! I would really like it if someone could give me a helping hand or a run-threw on the things i need to do. This would be most helpful as im really just learning about PHp and MySQL, im really looking forward to be able to start getting the project on the go but just need some kind soles to help me on my way.

Thanks a lot so far you guys you been a real help Smile

Hope to hear from more of you soon Wink

Obliterate
IronWallaby
Unregistered

BinarySpike Wrote:I DON'T SUGGEST Lua!!!!!!
(even though it is used in some 3D engines I still DON'T SUGGEST IT!!!)
Why not? Lua is a beautiful, elegant, easy-to-use, and very powerful language.

In fact, if I had to order those languages, I would go, Perl, Lua, Python, PHP, Ruby, in that order. I like Perl the best, since I have the most experience with it. Of course, I am not a huge fan of PHP (mostly because of it's limited use), but hey, lots of other people like it, so if you're good with it, go for it. (Ruby is last because I have very little practice with it. Rasp)

Obliterate: Best of luck! Smile
IronWallaby Wrote:In fact, if I had to order those languages, I would go, Perl, Lua, Python, PHP, Ruby, in that order.

Funny, I'd put them in almost the exact opposite order, with the exception of putting PHP just above Perl. Ruby has become my favorite scripting langauge, and I honestly can't stand Perl...

- Alex Diener
IronWallaby
Unregistered

As I said, I've little to none experience in Ruby. Wink

Plus, I tend towards a functional programming paradigm, instead of an object-oriented one, so Perl, Lua, and Python are the way to go for those, since functions are first-class. (Lua is my favorite amongst these, and Perl is probably the least functional, but Perl is great for old-fashioned hacking away at something quickly).

I don't understand why so many people have it out for Perl. It's a beautiful language (though it can be abused, just like any other language but Python Wink ), and it's great for doing what you want in a minimal amount of code. Plus, it's fast (but fairly heavy, especially placed next to PHP and Lua... which is why you want to minimize overhead with mod_perl or something Rasp) Plus, it's almost always installed on every Unix system.

Of course, on OSX, you get Python, Ruby, and PHP out of the box too, don't ya... LOL

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Help to make an online text-based rpg game just_gabe 0 4,948 Dec 6, 2009 04:13 PM
Last Post: just_gabe
  How to Design a Text Based MMORPG? SpireGames 3 5,801 Mar 23, 2009 01:40 AM
Last Post: Ingemar
  Text based graphics game mmorpg. MetalMouth 6 5,784 Mar 4, 2008 09:55 AM
Last Post: drslinky1500
  I Have my text-based mmorpg set up just need function.php fixed htmlgary 1 3,246 Jul 12, 2007 01:07 AM
Last Post: Taxxodium
  Need Help Making Text Based MMORPG Burak 6 7,687 Jan 24, 2007 06:14 PM
Last Post: azoundria