open gl shading language

brtnrdr
Unregistered

hey,

i've been trying to figure out if the open gl shading language (glsl from now on) is supported in os x. i googled it and saw that open gl 1.5 is supported on some high end nvidia cards and high end ati cards, glsl is an extension in ogl 1.5, so does anyone know if glsl is an extension now?

thank you.
Quote this message in a reply
feelgood
Unregistered

Wait until Tiger. There are no (current) plans to implement GLSL under Panther.
Sage
Is there *any* confirmation of GLSL under tiger? I mean, it seems to me that CoreImage implies the presence of GLSL, or something a lot like it, but I haven't heard anything at all from Apple.
Luminary
CoreImage kernels are written in the CIKernel language, "a derivative of the OpenGL Shading Language". Read into that what you want...

10.3.6+ include a GLSL parser. If you ignore the lack of the ARB_shading_language_100 extension, and call the GLSL functions anyway, you'll get genuine syntax errors and such, but GLSL programs never affect rendering.
Oldtimer
As for the CIKernel, that's a stripped down version of GLSL hidden behind a layer of API. It isn't GLSL, but it uses it. So, I guess support for it is seeping in, but don't expect full compatibility until Mac OS X 10.5 - Garfield. (Or whatever they'll call it)
Fenris Wrote:Mac OS X 10.5 - Garfield. (Or whatever they'll call it)

It'll be called Lion, according to what I've heard.

- Alex Diener
feelgood
Unregistered

Quote:...don't expect full compatibility until Mac OS X 10.5 - Garfield. (Or whatever they'll call it)
WTF does this come from? I guarantee you that Mac OS 10.4 will have GLSL support out of the box... Assuming you have the HW to support it.
Sage
There is no public confirmation of GLSL in Tiger, and ADC members can't confirm or deny what is in the seeds, so don't bother asking about it yet.
Luminary
Completely useless speculating, since anyone who might be able to confirm or deny wouldn't be allowed to.

As for needing the hardware to support it, a conformant GLSL implementation must be able to run all valid shaders, so there will have to be a software fallback -- why wouldn't that be available to non-capable hardware?

And this is Apple we're talking about, so whenever it does become available, the time it becomes usable is at least two years beyond then (c.f. ARB_vertex_program -- introduced 10.2.0; not yet stable enough to be usable. Good luck to whoever's porting Doom III).

All we can say is, it's being worked on, given the state of it in 10.3.6 compared to earlier. If you want it now or soon, get a PC. If you want it without Windows, get an NVidia card in a Linux PC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Deferred Shading wquist 0 2,686 Jul 20, 2011 07:42 PM
Last Post: wquist
  Irrlicht Gouraud/Smooth Shading merrill541 4 5,860 Feb 3, 2010 01:13 PM
Last Post: merrill541
  GLUT Shading merrill541 1 3,084 Oct 15, 2008 02:53 PM
Last Post: arekkusu
  Anyone playing with the OpenGL Shading Laguage? NYGhost 7 5,035 Aug 4, 2004 01:23 PM
Last Post: OneSadCookie