Software for sprite and web content creation

TGallagher
Unregistered

Mac enthusiast looking to develop some games as a hobby. What software should I purchase to create art for 2D sprites and tilesets and web content?

Seen a lot of references to Adobe Photoshop in this forum, is that the de-facto standard?
Quote this message in a reply
TGallagher Wrote:Seen a lot of references to Adobe Photoshop in this forum, is that the de-facto standard?
Yep pretty much.
Adobe has a low cost version called something I forget, then there is the free
Gimp which requires X11.

If you want to make games and web content all at the same time then look into Anark and Flash (which is the defacto web game thing, and can make sprites too)
Photoshop is pretty popular, but I and a few others prefer to use Gimp. It's free, and does just about everything Photoshop does.

http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

- Alex Diener
Photoshop Elements is $99 (less if you're a student!) and well worth the money. As Alex and Bill already said, though, The Gimp is free and a fine replacement if you don't mind using X11.
dont forget Teal (http://www.unspacy.demon.co.uk/software/)
and Pixen (http://www.opensword.org/Pixen/)

I havent used Photoshop Elements - but I read that it doesnt include support for alpha channel - can anyone here confirm or deny this?

And maybe, hopefully, sometime soon ColorIt will be released for OSX (http://www.microfrontier.com/products/co...index.html) Supposedly a carbonized version is in testing now.
codemattic Wrote:I havent used Photoshop Elements - but I read that it doesnt include support for alpha channel - can anyone here confirm or deny this?
It most assuredly supports alpha channels.
TGallagher
Unregistered

Thank you, all for your suggestions.

I want the art-style of my games to be somewhat retro. I'm not looking for flashy photo quality graphics or 3D renderings just simple pixel art like computer games in the 90s. I spent some time thumbing through books at the local Borders on Photoshop and Photoshop Elements. Got some questions for the group now.

From this forum and the books, I understand the primary purpose of both programs is photo manipulation. My purpose of buying either is pixel art and graphics for the game's web site. Is Elements too dumbed down from Photoshop to do most of the stuff I've seen in on-line tutorials or books? What major features have been removed from Photoshop to make Elements?
The answers you seek are probably at Adobe

You should also be able to obtain demo's there as well.
TGallagher Wrote:Is Elements too dumbed down from Photoshop to do most of the stuff I've seen in on-line tutorials or books? What major features have been removed from Photoshop to make Elements?
The only key element Elements does not have is masks, though I thought I read they were added in Elements 3? Otherwise, Elements is quite comparable to the full Photoshop.
Photoshop and the GIMP are image manipulation programs, meant primarily for adjusting already existing images. They both allow for primitive drawing, of course, but might not be the best creation tools. Though, for pixel art like you want, it is probably more than enough. I'm not sure what 2D sprite artists use for more cartoony sprites... maybe they actually draw directly in Photoshop, or use a tablet... or maybe a program like Adobe Illustrator? That seems more suited for graphics design sorts of things...

If you don't want primitive pixel art (which I really like, by the way), and you don't want flashy 3D rendered art, then I think the best way might be good ol' pen and paper scanned into Photoshop/GIMP for colors, touch-ups, and fancy neat-looking filters.

Just thinking out loud as I'm going to have to create some real art for my game soon, and I'm not sure where to start...

Chris Burkhardt
By the way, you can get a double-clickable GIMP binary for Mac OS X at: http://gimp-app.sourceforge.net/

It requires that you install Apple's X11, which comes with the Panther CDs. It includes all the gtk libraries and stuff, so it is huge, but at least it is double-clickable and you don't have to compile it yourself. Probably worth trying before spending money on Photoshop [Elements].

(blah, Alex already posted that link. Oh well Wacko )

Chris Burkhardt
Josh Wrote:It most assuredly supports alpha channels.

ok. The reason I wondered was from reading this forum:

http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?p=19927

where 'EpicBoy' posts regarding Elements:

"I had 3 and there's no alpha channel editing. It's the one thing they hold back - everything else is identical to Photoshop. Very annoying."

Maybe he just doesnt know how to use the software.
codemattic Wrote:Maybe he just doesnt know how to use the software.
Or I may be confused. Rasp I'm not sure what exactly he means. You can't create masks if that's what he's referring to. It does save the alpha channel for applicable formats and you obviously have control over what is that transparent color. He says he has version 3 and I have version 2, though I doubt they would have cut alpha channel support.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  2D graphics creation ferum 13 8,158 Mar 5, 2008 03:29 PM
Last Post: Frank C.
  Character Heads : Part of the Lost Content Season BeyondCloister 2 4,399 Feb 28, 2006 09:19 AM
Last Post: igame3d
  2D image creation? BinarySpike 8 5,142 Jul 27, 2005 05:31 PM
Last Post: Buzzboy_109
  What graphic apps do people use for sprite creation? gatti 43 19,682 Jul 25, 2004 06:53 AM
Last Post: masterbuffy
  Font creation. Shivers 6 3,970 Oct 5, 2003 09:16 PM
Last Post: Shivers