Torque: Help for Beginners

Hi, I'm new to the game development world and to programming in general. I wantd to know (before I go and blow $100) is Torque Game Engine is good to start Game Programming. Is it? If not what would you suggest?

Thanks,
AGhost
Quote this message in a reply
Find a beginners book and learn C++. I went out and bought C++ for dummies a while back. You'll pat yourself on the back in 3 years, might even be putting money away as well.

I learned BASIC in my younger years instead of C++. Then when I needed more power, I found I didn't have the time to learn C++. Now I'm languishing away in the land of SFX, 3D modeling, design, and whatever else I can get away with. :_ (

(OK, its not all that bad. But just learn C++)

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Dr. Light Wrote:Find a beginners book and learn C++. I went out and bought C++ for dummies a while back. You'll pat yourself on the back in 3 years, might even be putting money away as well.

I learned BASIC in my younger years instead of C++. Then when I needed more power, I found I didn't have the time to learn C++. Now I'm languishing away in the land of SFX, 3D modeling, design, and whatever else I can get away with. :_ (

(OK, its not all that bad. But just learn C++)

Why on earth would you want to start with C++? Start with C, at the very least... And for someone new to programming, perhaps Blitz Basic would be more appropriate.

- Alex Diener
Torque isn't an engine you would be able to use without any prior coding experience; I'd second the suggestion to learn C (preferably C++; it will likely save you a lot if frustration in the long term...) and the SDL API; SDL only 'natively' supports 2D, but SDL and OpenGL work quite happily together...

Of course, those suggestions are only helpful if you want to learn a coding language/API, not just mess with the 'instant' game creators (of which Torque isn't one.)

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Torque requires a knowledge of C / C++ otherwise the learning curve would be very step.
The scripting language Torque uses is based around C++ and they suggest you have a working understanding of it.

Without touching the scripting side you would still be able to use Torque to create something, but it would just be the sample games with terrain and graphical changes.

If at all possible skip out the BASIC stage and go straight to C / C++ otherwise you are going to add at least a year on to your learning timing.
to answer the thread's title: no, torque is not for beginners
I agree, Torque is not for beginners. Even if you're an advanced programmer it can be difficult to deal with its idiosyncrasies on the Mac. Also, if you don't have a PC by your side to develop content for it, forget it.

For a language, like others, I also recommend C.
ashiedu
Unregistered

AGhost Wrote:Hi, I'm new to the game development world and to programming in general. I wantd to know (before I go and blow $100) is Torque Game Engine is good to start Game Programming. Is it? If not what would you suggest?

Thanks,
AGhost

Torque is a simple and easy to put together for beginners. No prior knowledge in programming is necessary to build a game. That is why it is perfect for artist. Plenty of tutorials exist to get you up and running in no time. There is even a book, 3D Game Programming All-In-One, that takes you through all the details, though it may be difficult for a Mac user to start, I started on Chapter 4 doing the examples, then the rest is smooth sailing. Once you want to get into heavier stuff, you'll just need to learn Torque Script which is easier than C/C++ to get started with, but it's a breeze.Rolleyes
Sorry ashiedu, but Torque is not as simple to use for beginners on the Mac as you describe. It's true that you don't necessarily need to know how to program to use it. However, it's not good for artists since there are no compatible programs to create content for Torque on the Mac. Also, the tutorials you speak of are PC oriented. I maintain, Torque is NOT for beginners on the Mac.
I agree Torque is not for beginners.
To modify the existing demo, and add some bots to shoot at, I had to do C++ and Torques scripting, and get help from an experienced coder when then text copy and pasted verbatim out of tutorials didn't work!

I hear there is support for Blender now with Torque, but that does't really excite me.
do blitzbasic. when you want to move on to something more advanced, it has handles to c/c++/obj-c.

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
rossum
Unregistered

It seems to me most people agree that torque is not for beginers, and does not have very good mac support, which is too bad. I was wondering if anyone knows if the new rts package would be easier for beginers, in my mind i would think it would be realatively easier. If anyone has it please let me know, i wanted to try it but there is no demo and i'm not going to by it just to test it and find out i can't use it. I am really interested in making an rts, but the only free engines i found are stratagus and orts, and i could not compile either one properly.
Apprentice
I suggest you watch this thread and bug its creator Wink

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7827
Rincewind Wrote:I suggest you watch this thread and bug its creator Wink

http://www.idevgames.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7827

Just don't expect to hear anything for a couple of months due to other projects.
anonuser
Unregistered

I'd suggest learn basic first. Get the fundamentals down. Then move to a more robust langauge.
Start with C then move to C++. It'll take you a good bit.
Game programming is probably one of the hardest things to pick up on.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Upcoming Multiplatform Game Programming Book for Beginners JazonYamamoto 3 1,211 Apr 14, 2014 05:55 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Integrating Force And Torque Nick 5 3,704 Oct 23, 2006 10:03 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Torque: RTS Starter Kit - First Impressions BeyondCloister 4 5,729 Nov 29, 2004 12:47 PM
Last Post: BeyondCloister