uDG 2004 your favorite overlooked games

aaronsullivan Wrote:MadTak deserves some more credit, too. It has some original ideas that force the player to use a bit more clever techniques to survive. Pick one of the fastest ships only though, otherwise... well, it's very slow. Smile (hint: down arrow switches between move and attack mode)
Cry Smile Cry

Thank you! And Snowball rocks!

I echo all the comments about Nanocrisis. I thought it was well optimized for what it had in it and its level of development, and I loved the Zelda-style gameplay.

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
Quote this message in a reply
I dunno... I didnt like that many games this year... I liked the one of the frog that eats flies, at least its quite original and pretty playable... Also of course I liked kill dr kote, and I think it was also very polished (some weapon effects were absolutely gorgeous... take the rail gun... and almost all of them), it was just the cartoonish characters that made it look less polished than what it really was. I would have given it best overall game without many doubts.

Finally, if icarus had 10 levels, I would die for it Love

But I didnt see anything close to Black Shades, that is my personal benchmark... David, where are you?

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Najdorf Wrote:...it was just the cartoonish characters that made it look less polished than what it really was...

Gr, what the hell, this "realism must be achieved!" attitude really baffles me. I don't think KDC would have been any better if the style was a more realisitic one. This issue became fairly popular when people first saw The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, why people made such an issue about the game not trying to be realistic I don't know. The cell shading in that particular game IMO greatly enhanced the gameplay and improved the overall experience. Nintendo decided to come up with a style and integrate it into the gameplay in such a way that they believed they could use to enhance the game, why gamers are mad that Nintendo wanted to enhance the game, I don't know.

Maybe I'm just venting, and maybe I'm taking what you meant the wrong way, but give me a break....
Oldtimer
I didn't enter this year, but I must chime in and say "thank you" to Alex as well.

As for the games, the only game I've actually played is KDC. It's one of the most addictive games I've ever played, especially in Survival mode. My best is 48 seconds - who's out there to break me, eh? Wink
Najdorf Wrote:But I didnt see anything close to Black Shades, that is my personal benchmark... David, where are you?

In college making games for Windows last I heard.
lightbringer Wrote:Gr, what the hell, this "realism must be achieved!" attitude really baffles me. I don't think KDC would have been any better if the style was a more realisitic one. This issue became fairly popular when people first saw The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker, why people made such an issue about the game not trying to be realistic I don't know. The cell shading in that particular game IMO greatly enhanced the gameplay and improved the overall experience. Nintendo decided to come up with a style and integrate it into the gameplay in such a way that they believed they could use to enhance the game, why gamers are mad that Nintendo wanted to enhance the game, I don't know.

Maybe I'm just venting, and maybe I'm taking what you meant the wrong way, but give me a break....

Yep, you got me the wrong way: I liked the cartoonish part of KDC, i thought it was fun and was a cool mix with the great weapon effects. I just say that to the casual gamer it might have made it "LOOK less polished than what it REALLY WAS", so IMO it deserves a higher rating in graphics and polish than what it got. Hope i'm clear now.

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
Huh

"Most nutritionists say that Twinkies are bad. But they're not, they're very very good."
It's not that KDC's graphics were cartoonish, but that they were amateur. There's a difference. Mostly the problem was the main character, maybe the zombies... I actually think Dr. Cote himself looks great.
Ever see the original Mega Man box art? Wink

Anyway, if you ask me, Kill Dr. Cote was the best overall, EASILY.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
aaronsullivan Wrote:I actually think Dr. Cote himself looks great.

Err, Dr. Cote is a woman...

- Alex Diener
Oops. I don't know if I've seen Dr. Cote. Are the flying saucer guys the killer sentry robots then? Okay... so, it doesn't change my point at all, I just didn't know who was who. I'd play some more, right now, but my iBook can't really handle it. Sad

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
For the record, Dr. Cote is the one in the flying saucer, and is in fact a woman.

On the art, Aaron hit it on the head. It's all coder art, although the Doc actually came out pretty good. (Ironically, it's the sprite I spent the least time on.)

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your favorite entries. Najdorf 27 13,348 Mar 13, 2009 12:30 PM
Last Post: ThemsAllTook
  Missing prizes for uDG 2004 Carlos Camacho 6 5,777 Apr 3, 2005 11:34 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  uDevGames 2004 source code ThemsAllTook 35 16,833 Jan 4, 2005 10:42 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  Game Playables Prep (uDevGames 2004) Carlos Camacho 19 10,762 Dec 7, 2004 02:27 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister
  uDevGames 2004 Sponsors Search Carlos Camacho 11 6,692 Jul 28, 2004 08:19 PM
Last Post: madmacgames