Applying fog... retroactively

Sage
Now, this all makes sense to me, finally. Thanks -- I'll get hacking asap and let you know the results.

I really appreciate the leads, arrekusu and NicholasFrancis.
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
I wanted to post an update. I'm working on the fog-texture alpha channel approach, but in the meantime I decided to give a shot at "correct" multiple pass rendering, doing a first-pass with ambient light, casting shadows, and then a second with the scene lit.

It looks *great* and the performance isn't bad. I get a solid 30fps. Note however that I was taking screenshots and the frame rate dipped.

Anyway, check it out:
[Image: 2PassShadows.jpg]

Also, notice the scorching on the dome. I shot it with the laser before taking the screenshot Wink
MarkJ
Unregistered

Looks really nice, Tomorrow. What's the game goiing to be like?
Sage
MarkJ Wrote:Looks really nice, Tomorrow. What's the game goiing to be like?

Thanks!

It's really just an excuse to develop flocking AI. I've been doing simple single-agent AI stuff ( legged robots, using emergent cellular automata type networks ) for a couple years and I was wondering what I could do with flocking.

Here's a couple screenshots:

[Image: Hoard1.png]
[Image: Hoard2.png]

Each little circle is a simple agent with desire to find other agents and seek food (the big blue circles). As they find eachother they form a "mind" -- represented by the agents all being the same color -- which gives them as a group better sensory capacity and a unified goal ( food seeking or enemy tracking ). Also, agents can depart a mind for a larger (better) mind.

So, the game is that you've got a colony somewhere and the native species ( using the flocking algorithms ) seek out your colony to feed on its reactor. Your job is to protect the colony and destroy their hive.

The enemies themselves are stupid and have poor eyesight but as they group up they'll be able to find your colony and swarm onto it. So, this means that your best strategy is to break them up and pick them off individually. They'll also track you ( since you're an energy source ) so you can in principle "distract" them.

Anyway, the flocking stuff only exists in a separate program -- the one with the screenshots I attached. I'll be putting them into the game, Real Soon Now, but right now I'm attempting to develop a simple scene graph so my craptacular engine can run at real time. I also want terrain details like boulders and trees. So a scene graph is a requisite. For what it's worth, I've got a little practice under my belt since the terrain is rendered in patches according to view frustum culling and the "grass" is already rendered by a mini scenegraph. My plan is for the SG to forward LOD information as well, so I can just have billboarding for things at a distance.

My long term goal is to have a sand-worm style "mother" creature which gets angry as you pick off her children. You'll have to battle with her when you destroy their hive.

This is the first real game I've ever written, so I'm feeling it out as I go Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  This is cool - applying it to OpenGL Jones 12 4,186 Jun 23, 2006 09:46 AM
Last Post: Jones