Raw Voting Data Now Available (ie da Feedback)

I am working on a little spreadsheet to get some interesting idea such as "what was the average female score for a given game in each category" and also what did each level of casual to hardcore gamer rank the game. I haven't decided how I am going to break down age yet, so that isn't included. An interesting category might be those English speakers versus non-English speakers (or non native English speakers) ... I will get to see which games had the greatest differential between those two categories, and those developers would probably realize that localization is needed for a game like that in order for it to reach its widest potential audience. Also, my results will only be as good as the data entered: hopefully nobody lied on the survey results, and hopefully there was a random sampling of those who responded and those who did not respond to the survey, to make this a bit more meaningful. Should I post the results once I finish, or should I wait until winners are announced??
Quote this message in a reply
Well, here is some interesting information that shouldn't influence anyone's thoughts as to who actually won anything in the contest.

This is the gender information (but keep in mind that for some of these games only one or two "registered females" voted, so this is by no means representative!):

Top 5 games that males liked more than females:

CubicsRube Male 58.54%
BugThug Male 27.28%
WordBeGone Male 17.10%
Ark-Annoyed Male 9.31%
Snowball Male 1.09%

Read the above data as follows: "Male voters gave an average of 58.54% higher score on Cubic's Rube than female voters" or "The average male score was 27.28% higher than the average female score for Bug Thug".

The main reason CubicsRube is at the top of the list is because only one female voted on it, and she gave it all ones.

Interestingly, these were the ONLY games that males awarded higher scores to than females. It seems females either had more forgiving scores in general, or the games produced for this contest simply had more appeal to females who voted in the contest.

The top eleven games females liked more than males, using the same formula for the percentage are as follows:

Starport Female 55.00%
Splock Female 47.50%
RoboRubOut Female 41.71%
Feathered Soccer Female 35.56%
PictureFrameX Female 34.03%
Icarus Female 31.29%
FrogSpawned Female 30.16%
DeadDays Female 26.07%
Nanocrisis Female 25.56%
WildLandsHockey Female 25.12%
ToadMuncher Female 24.74%

As before, the top four games on this list received perfect votes from all females who voted on them, usually just one or two. Nanocrisis also received a "perfect" 5 score from all females, but the male vote was so high that the percentage still dropped it down to ninth on the list.

Games where NO ("registered") FEMALES voted on them:

BitRacer
Bumper Cars
Gokuban
Goldgeier
Industrial Revolution
MadTak
Okugai
Rescue
Shards
ThunderBlast

Obviously, the samples were too small for any of these numbers to mean much. But I still find them interesting anyway.
Well, here is some more of 'da feedback from 'Da Falcon. As before, this is interesting information that shouldn't influence anyone's thoughts as to who actually won anything in the contest.

This is the native English speaker information. The following games had much higher scores (>10%) from non-native English speakers than native english speakers:

Splock (Non) 24.36%
FrogSpawned (Non) 23.40%
ToadMuncher (Non) 22.88%
Goldgeier (Non) 21.64%
Feathered Soccer (Non) 18.49%
OneNeum (Non) 16.25%
DeadDays (Non) 14.86%
WordBeGone (Non) 14.13%
BitRacer (Non) 12.94%
ShineBug (Non) 11.72%

And this next list is a list of games that might have benefitted from localization, or else they just appealed to an English speaking audience better. Or maybe it was random chance, there's always that.

Industrial Revolution (Engl) 28.21%
Okugai (Engl) 26.48%
Nanocrisis (Engl) 20.67%
WildLandsHockey (Engl) 5.90%
Snowball (Engl) 5.52%

In general, non-native English speakers gave higher scores than native English speakers. (So if you appeal to more female and non-native English speakers, will you get more of their generally higher votes? Maybe. Hmnnnnn.)
Well, here is a final analysis of 'da feedback from 'Da Falcon. As always, this is interesting information that shouldn't influence anyone's thoughts as to who actually won anything in the contest.

Now I want to look at how games appealed to casual vs. hardcore gamers. With some exceptions, games fell into a bell curve with scores peaking at one level of "hardcoreness" and falling off around that level. I'm going to look at the top games in each category.

First, here are the overall rankings (including graphics and sound/music)

Here are the top ten rated games by Casual (1) gamers in overall score:

Nanocrisis
Starport*
Icarus
ToadMuncher
ShineBug
Okugai
SolarQuest
OneNeum
Snowball
Splock

*[Starport had some odd numbers due to low voter turnout on this game, and so few of the votes had survey information attached, and those that did gave the game abnormally high scores, compared to average scores for this game -- so you will see it on my lists often. RoboRubOut, PictureFrameX, Goldgeier, and Splock also had some abnormally non-representative numbers for these categories]

Here are the top ten rated games by Semi-casual (2) gamers in overall score:

Starport*
ToadMuncher
Goldgeier
Okugai
ShineBug
BitRacer
Nanocrisis
Feathered Soccer
Rescue
Icarus

Here are the top ten rated games by Semi-hardcore (3) gamers in overall score:

Okugai
Rescue
SolarQuest
ShineBug
MadTak
Splock
RoboRubOut
WildLandsHockey
Snowball
KillDrCote

Here are the top ten rated games by self-proclaimed Hardcore (4) gamers in overall score:

RoboRubOut
Icarus
PictureFrameX
Starport*
ShineBug
OneNeum
SolarQuest
DeadDays
Snowball
Okugai**
Rescue**
WildLandsHockey**

** These three games all tied for 10th place

For this category, I also want to look at the top ten games for each level of "casualidity" ( Rasp ) in GAMEPLAY ONLY, so here goes!

Here are the top ten games in GAMEPLAY as rated by Casual (1) gamers:

Starport*
PictureFrameX
WaterTower3D
Icarus
Nanocrisis
DeadDays
OneNeum
ToadMuncher
KillDrCote
Snowball

Here are the top ten games in GAMEPLAY as rated by Semi-casual (2) gamers:

Starport*
ToadMuncher
Industrial Revolution
BitRacer
Goldgeier
KillDrCote
Nanocrisis
OneNeum
Feathered Soccer
Snowball

Here are the top ten games in GAMEPLAY as rated by Semi-hardcore (3) gamers:

KillDrCote
WildLandsHockey
Rescue
Snowball
Okugai
SolarQuest
Goldgeier
MadTak
Industrial Revolution
Nanocrisis***
OneNeum***

***Tied for tenth place

Here are the top ten games in GAMEPLAY as rated by self-proclaimed Hardcore (4) gamers:

WildLandsHockey
Icarus
RoboRubOut
Starport*
PictureFrameX
OneNeum
KillDrCote
DeadDays
Okugai
Snowball****
SolarQuest****
ShineBug****

****Tied for tenth place

So, I hope these lists were of some interest to all of you curious cats out there. If you want me to mine for more data, well, I'd have to create some all-new spreadsheets, but if you ask real nice I'll probably do it anyway. I like playing with numbers, even if they aren't the most meaningful numbers.
Jaisor
Unregistered

Maybe I am just dense, but most of that info does not make any sense nor point to me! But like I said, maybe its me.
makes a ton of sense to me, apparently Icarus appeals to real casual gamers, and real hardcore gamers, but nothing in the middle
It probably isn't just you, Jaisor :-) I added a bit of explanation for what the percentages are supposed to mean for male/female english/non-english scores. As for the top ten games for each level of casual or hardcore gamer, I'm not sure how useful it is, but it should at least be self explanatory. In case it isn't, the survey asked voters to rate themselves as more casual or more hardcore gamers, and my list averages the scores for voters in each category then presents the rankings. I am not presenting the actual numbers to keep these lists from giving any real information about who may or may not have won the contest in any given category, especially because they would probably mislead anyone who took them that way: I am only counting voters who answered the survey, but all votes count for the giving of awards. Does that make sense?
It makes perfect sense, Skyhawk! Your game is all about being black or white, one way or another, all or nothing. So those "semi-casual" and "semi-hardcore" gamers felt you were discriminating against them and voted accordingly. Grin

Actually, Skyhawk, your game had appeal to the "middle" gamers too, but relative to the other entries, yes, very casual and very hardcore gamers preferred Icarus.
I liked icarus, but I was too much disappointed by its length. I mean, you have fun playing it, but its a 30 second fun!!! "wow, this game is cool! oh... its finished... ****!" That really annoyed me, but i refrained myself from giving you all zeros which I should have :-P

©h€ck øut µy stuƒƒ åt ragdollsoft.com
New game in development Rubber Ninjas - Mac Games Downloads
WordBeGone relied rather heavily on the English language in the actual gameplay, yet was rated higher by non-native English speakers? That's weird. But perhaps not since the uDG voting pages are themselves in English so there is an implicit filter on the sample. It's really a "non-native English speakers who understand English well enough to participate in the voting" statistic. Anyway, I'd be careful about concluding anything from the those particular statistics.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
Founder
Quote:hopefully nobody lied on the survey results,
I went through all the data, and removed obvious data that was out of place, such as people who posted they were "120" years old, or would pay "$1m" for a game.

Concerning the data, I learned alot about how to gather it this year, and how to improve it for next year. What I will do is NOT place it in the voting process, But rather, AFTER the voting is done, have it set up as it it's own survey, and have all questions mandatory. To be considered for a door prize, you will need to do this survey. But once done, you won't have to do it again and again as with this year. Yeah, I wrote on the survey pages that voters ONLY needed to provide the data once, but some people added it more than once.

One other problem. I noticed that some females would state their name, but leave Gender as Male. This is because the default was set to Male, so it took a tiny effort for them to change the Gender option. I went ahead and fixed that for obvious voters who were females, but when voters didn't supply a name, there was no way to know their gender.

Anyways, this year is a "start." We can't read TOO much into the data, but it is fun. Next year, we will need to do this part of the contest better.

Quote:Should I post the results once I finish, or should I wait until winners are announced??
If you could, please try to do it in a report form. Listing stats, as the last poster said, makes some people's heads spin. If you can make summaries, or conclusions, then it is much easier I think.

Cheers!

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Najdorf Wrote:I liked icarus, but I was too much disappointed by its length. I mean, you have fun playing it, but its a 30 second fun!!! "wow, this game is cool! oh... its finished... ****!" That really annoyed me, but i refrained myself from giving you all zeros which I should have :-P
never fear, I have decided (as in there is a 90% probability) that I will for sure make 1 more level of at least 3-5 minutes (minimum) in length. It will take place in tartarus.
Aaron's comments are really well thought! But I think I found a misplaced vote: in Splock, the comment seems to be about Shards?

Well, I took the time to calculate each category averages... but obviously I can't post that, so I'll only say: so close Cry !

Anyway, while I can't post those scores (they aren't even official results), I can post my own "Category":

If the game you just voted for was distributed as shareware, what would be an appropriate price?
Code:
Game.Author,Price
Nanocrisis.Alex_Ni,15.05
Snowball.Aaron_Sullivan,12.34
Okugai.Juan_Garcia,12.23
KillDrCote.Justin_Ficarrotta,11.95
Rescue.Neil_Carter,11.88
DeadDays.Tobias_Opfermann,11.79
BugThug.Jonathan_Czeck,11.58
OneNeum.Rene_Bauer,11.50
Icarus.Brian_Ramagli,11.40
IndustrialRevolution.Andrew_Sage,11.37
BitRacer.Will_Thimbley,11.30
ShineBug.Charles_Goran,11.19
ToadMuncher.Peter_Leahy,11.18
SolarQuest.Andrew_Farley,11.15
Splock.Sean_Monahan,10.73
WaterTower3D,10.58
Ark-Annoyed3D.Mike_Plouffe,10.27
WildLandsHockey.Kevin_Dromereski,10.22
Starport.Justin_Northcott,9.75
MadTak.Joseph_Duchesne,9.57
FeatheredSoccer.Ludovico_Rossi,9.23
WordBeGone.Matt_Diamond,9.06
Goldgeier.Kemal_Yun,9.04
ThunderBlast.Kyle_Leary,8.97
Frogspawned.Iain_Bethune,7.80
PictureFrameX.Alan_Dickson,7.65
RoboRubOut.Kevin_Linderman,7.25
CubicsRube.David_Rzepa,6.72
Shards.Nathan_Goings,5.67
Gokuban.Eric_Hoaglin,5.50
AstroKnights.Stuart_Barth,4.59
BumperCars,1.43

OK, not very useful, but still...

Note: before calculating these averages, I deleted all amounts above and including $40 (otherwise, some games' results would be very unrealistic, since many had "$50", and even "$100" - for a shareware game?). Perhaps I should have used a smaller value?
Founder
So, is that saying that the public feels most shareware should fall between $10 and $15 Wink

I think the "high" values must have been cast by "parents" or "grandparents" Grin

To improve your data, place game genre. And tell us if game genre has any impact on what the public is willing to pay.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:So, is that saying that the public feels most shareware should fall between $10 and $15 Wink

Yes, I made a very surprising discovery LOL !

Carlos Camacho Wrote:To improve your data, place game genre. And tell us if game genre has any impact on what the public is willing to pay.

If there aren't going to be any changes to the raw data, I have a lot of *complex* correlation analysis I can make, but since those take time I was going to wait until the data was set in stone... If it is, I'll start right away... well, not right away since it's 4:24 AM here in Argentina and I should get some sleep, but today.

I forgot to ask: I know that for privacy reasons IP, names and email addresses were stripped, but do you have any "arbitrary code" to distinguish votes from the same voter? With that info we could find out interesting stuff like:
* How many games did the average voter rate?
* Did most voters rate only specific genres (only puzzles or only arcades or 3D...)
* Are there any 5-5-5 votes for game X, 1-1-1 for everyone else voters?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  uDG08 Voting Results and Methods AnotherJake 111 46,171 Mar 20, 2009 05:15 PM
Last Post: pinguoren
  uDG voting DoG 11 5,576 Mar 7, 2009 09:57 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  Questions regarding voting? FlamingHairball 20 8,821 Mar 6, 2009 10:00 AM
Last Post: FlamingHairball
  How will public voting work? pinguoren 7 4,871 Mar 2, 2009 11:22 AM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Networking Minicontest "Voting" aarku 26 10,543 May 9, 2008 08:36 PM