Give Thorsten Lemke your money

Thorsten must be one of the most responsive developers on Earth. I had a bug/feature request with Graphic Converter last night. I emailed him about it. Here it is one day later, and he sent me an update that fixes it.

Wow. Best $40 I ever spent on software was when I registered GC.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
Yeah, I have to agree. My digital camera raw files weren't being opened correctly by GC, so I went out and found a command line tool to do it. I then noticed that it was noted on the web page that GC used the same tool. I sent him a email about the update and within 12 hours he had sent me a patched version to include the changes so I could use it before the next update.

Almost makes me want to register a third copy...
I just wonder how many GC clones will come once Tiger is available (hint: Core Image)

I know I'll be making my personal PhotoShop Rasp

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Taxxodium Wrote:I just wonder how many GC clones will come once Tiger is available (hint: Core Image)

I know I'll be making my personal PhotoShop Rasp
GC gets its power from its tons of import export abilities and its ease of use to touch up and convert images, plus its wonderful batch scripts.

CoreImage can only possibly do ONE of those, and that is "touch ups"
Luminary
also, CI's system requirements are, uh, a /little/ higher than GC's...
Founder
>power from its tons of import export abilities
Can't much of that be done via QuickTime?

Sure GC can convert some Timex Sinclair format to TGA, but how often do you need that?
Grin

My wish would be for MicroFrontier to revamp ColorIt! It was much better than GC, but fell down during the move to Mac OS X. It could be the Mac's version of that PC paint program.

Cheers

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Sage
Can't say I really use GC for touching up images or anything like that. Batch conversion/processing, excellent photo browser, and some of the other of it's niche features.

I don't think that core image really even relates.

Which reminds me. I was discussing how cool core image could be with some friends a while back. For the life of me I couldn't explain why this would be good for multimedia apps. They couldn't get it through their heads that Apple would do this for anything other than more flashy (and potentially annoying) UI stuff.
Carlos Camacho Wrote:Sure GC can convert some Timex Sinclair format to TGA, but how often do you need that?
Grin

Not often. But say I just discovered my hundreds of old DPaint animations and wanted to preserve them?

Quote:My wish would be for MicroFrontier to revamp ColorIt! It was much better than GC, but fell down during the move to Mac OS X. It could be the Mac's version of that PC paint program.

The Carbonized Version has been "in beta" for quite some time now. Gotta wonder what the hold up is.

"Yes, well, that's the sort of blinkered, Philistine pig-ignorance I've come to expect from you non-creative garbage."
Sage
OneSadCookie Wrote:also, CI's system requirements are, uh, a /little/ higher than GC's...
Yeah, any Mac that can run Tiger. CI has a software fallback.
Luminary
True. I guess if you're using it to implement photoshop filters, that's fine... but for anything that needs to be more interactive, you're outta luck.
On the topic of CI. I suddenly remebered that I had seen something like CI before. It was, I think 10 years ago on a SGI machine running IRIX. There was an app there that showed a picture and where you could manipulate the image like it was some sort of liquid metal thing, all in real time.

This was, I think, 10 years ago, so the computers back then were slow, in comparison to the computers now. Ofcourse, the IRIX machine only showed 1 effect.

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Founder
>I suddenly remebered that I had seen something like CI before.
Yes, you saw it in Blade Runner, when Harrison Ford used his wall pc to do filtering to an image. Wink

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Carlos Camacho Wrote:>I suddenly remebered that I had seen something like CI before.
Yes, you saw it in Blade Runner, when Harrison Ford used his wall pc to do filtering to an image. Wink

I liked the "image zoom", that could enlarge any section of an image to subatomic detail LOL ! CSI: Miami writers seem to like the concept too Rolleyes "Zoom in the reflection of the eye... now, zoom in to the person in the back of the crowd... he's wearing a mask... now zoom in to his hand... index finger... we've got the killers fingerprint!"

Back to topic: GC is great for, well, converting images. As for touch-ups... are you serious? Blink
PowerMacX Wrote:I liked the "image zoom", that could enlarge any section of an image to subatomic detail LOL ! CSI: Miami writers seem to like the concept too Rolleyes "Zoom in the reflection of the eye... now, zoom in to the person in the back of the crowd... he's wearing a mask... now zoom in to his hand... index finger... we've got the killers fingerprint!"
well you see, the source image is really 400 megapixels.... Rolleyes
rjax
Unregistered

I second that. Same thing happened with me today. Thorsten understands how important user participation is to shareware developers. These guys can't operate in a vacuum, although, sadly, it seems that some do. It's hard to believe there's a better shareware application of any sort than GraphicConverter. I'd need four or five different apps to duplicate what I do with GC. I've been a registered user since the late 1990s. You'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Daniel_Lurie Wrote:Thorsten must be one of the most responsive developers on Earth. I had a bug/feature request with Graphic Converter last night. I emailed him about it. Here it is one day later, and he sent me an update that fixes it.

Wow. Best $40 I ever spent on software was when I registered GC.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Give Your Feedback about NEW 3D Animation Software - IKITMovie johnmartyn 1 3,093 Nov 24, 2008 07:05 AM
Last Post: AnotherJake