Torque: RTS Starter Kit - First Impressions

After reading about the new RTS Starter Kit for the Torque Engine I went and bought it.

Why I hear some of you ask. Well I've toyed with various strategy games over the years and the chance to get straight in to do a nice 3D version of Industrial Revolution without having to worry about framerates and other 3D baggage was to much to resist.

I've only had a brief look at it so far and played the sample RTS game that comes with it.

I suspect it is not all going to be plain sailing though Sad

It runs a bit slow (on the border of being playable) on my iBook G4 with Raedion 9200 Mobile card (32MB VRAM). However it runs like a dream on my Sony Vaio with the same card but double the VRAM.

Network play runs fine between my iBook and Vaio with either acting as the server. However when I try to join with my iMac it tells me I have the wrong version and does not let me on even though it is the same download as on the iBook Sad

I'll be spending the next couple of days going through the Torque Engine documentation before I move on to the RTS stuff. Only then will I be able to give a better verdict on it.

I'll report back more as I progress with it. Hopefully I will get somewhere with it and it will not just turn out to be another purchase that gets discarded after a while like so much game development stuff I've bought over the years.
Quote this message in a reply
keith
Unregistered

I'll very interested to follow this thread, as it sounds like a good product to speed up development. I looked at torque once before, but the demo kept crashing on my ibook and so I gave it a wide berth.

Regards
Keith
keith Wrote:I looked at torque once before, but the demo kept crashing on my ibook and so I gave it a wide berth.

Actually the demo I tried did actually crash when I tried playing it on my iBook. However I still went ahead and bought it as I suspected it would work fine if recompiled.
If it still did not work then I would have requested a refund or used the powers of credit card purchase.
Any chance you could post a test build?(I could host it...)
I just want to see how fast it is.

"Gameplay Uber Alles. And if you can make it psychedelic too, great!" - Jeff Minter
Once I get to the part in the documentation about redistribution of games written using Torque I'll post something.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Starter Help austers 2 2,487 Mar 25, 2007 03:41 PM
Last Post: igame3d
  Integrating Force And Torque Nick 5 3,706 Oct 23, 2006 10:03 AM
Last Post: Skorche
  Torque: Help for Beginners AGhost 17 10,426 Dec 30, 2004 07:09 PM
Last Post: Dr. Light