uDevGames 2004 source code

phydeaux Wrote:http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~ale...src.tar.gz

(warning, big, 20-30 meg range)
how about a version with just the code and no assets like JustinFic did with "Kill Dr. Cote"?
Quote this message in a reply
Nibbie
MadTak source as of a week ago (not much change):
http://www.staronesw.com/MadTak/MadTakSource.zip
codemattic Wrote:how about a version with just the code and no assets like JustinFic did with "Kill Dr. Cote"?

Sadly, that is what this version is. Even after you compile this version you will need to download the assets from any version of the game.

The reason it's so big is that I have precompiled and included all the libraries you need to compile the game (otherwise, you will have a great deal of trouble compiling it unless you know a lot about command-line compiling and UNIX development.)

The alternative is to just include the source and hope that whoever downloads it will be able to figure this out if I include the places you are to download all third-party libraries from, but actually this is quite hard, and I feel that if I did this, nobody would be able to get it to compile.
Founder
Sealfin, I asked Johan to come to this thread. If you search, you just may find a thread here from LONG ago that he mentions what he did.

Other veterans can problem mention points to look for/fix.

Thanks,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I'll start with downloading the source code listed in this thread - but I've searched back as far as 2002 and couldn't find the thread you mentioned; I'll have to wait for Johan or somebody else to post guidelines...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
NeonSurge
Unregistered

Here is the source for SolarQuest. This is a XCode project and the data files - the works.

If you need just the plain, simple and tiny file, source code - do tell, will make the time to strip it.

http://neonsurge.com/solarquest/download...rc.tar.bz2
sealfin Wrote:I'll start with downloading the source code listed in this thread - but I've searched back as far as 2002 and couldn't find the thread you mentioned; I'll have to wait for Johan or somebody else to post guidelines...
If you're doing this, you might want to avoid doing too much preparation work with the Rescue source. I've nearly finished putting together the Xcode version of the source, and it'd be best if you used that instead of the CodeWarrior version above.

I don't think I'll continue hosting the CodeWarrior version after the contest because I don't have much web space remaining. If anyone really wants that version, download it now or ask me for it later.

I'll upload the Xcode version in the next few days.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
I've already downloaded the CodeWarrior project you posted (I've dl'd everything posted to this thread so far), but haven't had a look inside it yet (still waiting for the guidelines from Carlos, Johan, whoever...) but an Xcode project would be so much easier; I'll wait for that (and the guidelines) before I try to prep it Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Tobi
Unregistered

Hey folks!

Here is the source code for Dead Days without the assets. Read the ReadMe for information about how to put them in. It is an XCode project. Have fun with this!

Dead Days Source

-Tobi
sealfin Wrote:I've already downloaded the CodeWarrior project you posted (I've dl'd everything posted to this thread so far), but haven't had a look inside it yet (still waiting for the guidelines from Carlos, Johan, whoever...) but an Xcode project would be so much easier; I'll wait for that (and the guidelines) before I try to prep it Wink

Well, I had already posted a link to Okugai's source code here, but I have a new version that fixes a bug NCarter found a few days ago. So... should I post the contest version source code (the code I sent Carlos) or the new version? Also, when is OK to update the binary? Should I keep the last contest version up or would it be OK to replace it with the new one?
Founder
Voting is done, so feel free to update your binary as you wish. Can someone who knows Johan contact him and tell him to visit this thread?

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
phydeaux Wrote:Sadly, that is what this version is. Even after you compile this version you will need to download the assets from any version of the game.

The reason it's so big is that I have precompiled and included all the libraries you need to compile the game (otherwise, you will have a great deal of trouble compiling it unless you know a lot about command-line compiling and UNIX development.)

The alternative is to just include the source and hope that whoever downloads it will be able to figure this out if I include the places you are to download all third-party libraries from, but actually this is quite hard, and I feel that if I did this, nobody would be able to get it to compile.

Does anyone that actually cares to compile my code feel either way about including these extra libraries? Again, in my opinion it's kind of a pain in the butt to get it to work without them, but 30 megs is also a pain in the butt to download.
Apprentice
Better late than never...

A short rundown of what i did in the 'prepping' process:

1. Download the source.
  2. Compile the source code. I tried to have most of the sources compile out of the box, so if it didn't compile (and it was relatively easy to fix), I fixed it. This was something I couldn't do for the 'alternative language' games, so hopefully someone with the proper tools can do that this year.
  3. Add the license file to the download if missing. (People where better at this last year so much less work than 2002.)
  4. Figure out who the author is for the downloads page. Again much better last year and hopefully as good if not better this year.
  5. Clean up the file hierarchy if it's a complete mess.
  6. Stuff/gzip/dmg the source folder.
  7. Upload to iDevGames FTP.
  8. Add to iDevGames download manager.

It's not that much work really but it does take some time to do all the games. Whoever does the prepping, you can drop me a line at johan +AT+ static-motion.org if you have any questions.

.johan
Thanks for the guidelines, I'll get started Wink

Mark Bishop
--
Okay, I've prep'd Water Tower 3D; I've uploaded the game plus a short log noting any changes I've made to a temporary sub-domain here; if Carlos and ThemsAllTook can check if what I've done for this source is okay, I'll start on the other sources.

Also, Carlos could you email me the permissions to upload these to udevgames.com? Or would you rather dl them from my site and re-upload them?

Oh, and congrats to ThemsAllTook for coding the first of the no. of projects I tried which compiled out of the box Wink

Mark Bishop
--

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Carlosvision - question about source code stevejohnson 3 4,658 Jun 28, 2006 10:40 PM
Last Post: nich
  Missing prizes for uDG 2004 Carlos Camacho 6 5,836 Apr 3, 2005 11:34 PM
Last Post: Carlos Camacho
  Previous years' source code Tesseract 4 5,055 Jan 2, 2005 06:13 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  uDG 2004 your favorite overlooked games phydeaux 25 13,656 Dec 17, 2004 02:22 PM
Last Post: JustinFic
  Game Playables Prep (uDevGames 2004) Carlos Camacho 19 10,888 Dec 7, 2004 02:27 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister