Using Wings 3D Models In Game

Sage
I'm not sure exactly where this should go but what I'm looking for are games that anyone has made using models created with Wings 3D. Also I would just like to see what some of you are able to do with Wings so any links to Wings art and such would be nice as well.

One question I have is how do you animate the models if there is no built in function to do it? Are there any relatively cheap applications that can do this?

As usual thanks for all the fish.... er I mean help. Douglas Adams was a very funny person.
Quote this message in a reply
Nick Wrote:Also I would just like to see what some of you are able to do with Wings so any links to Wings art and such would be nice as well.

Gallery (not personal)

"When you dream, there are no rules..."
Luminary
The easiest way to use 'em in-game is to export to OBJ and load that.

Animation seems to be a huge sticking-point though. Blender is free and will animate stuff, but the UI is horrible.

There is a wings message board with a gallery... http://p212.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmiraifrm17 with some awesome stuff on it.
Sage
Does anybody here have any of their games that use models from Wings? I would really like to see the quality (in game) of these models.

I do like these galleries but most of what I'm seeing is art that could not be used in games. Plus I'd just like to see some models in action.
Don't be fooled by the app. The models will look the same on any 3D app. It's all about the talent of the artist and the textures applied to the model.
The app itself is just a tool for creating such things.

On the topic of 3D, does anybody know of a FREE 3D modeller app (for Mac obviously) that works with a 1 button mouse? That's one of the reasons why I didn't use Wings3D. Oh and don't tell me about Blender. Tried it and got lost in the interface Rasp

Luminary
Wings3d works great with a one-button mouse. You do have to change the settings though. There's a howto somewhere on the website.
Sage
Taxxodium Wrote:Don't be fooled by the app. The models will look the same on any 3D app. It's all about the talent of the artist and the textures applied to the model.
I guess that is true.
OneSadCookie Wrote:Wings3d works great with a one-button mouse. You do have to change the settings though. There's a howto somewhere on the website.

Just downloaded it, looks cool. I'll try modelling something tomorrow and if I'm happy about the model, I'll post a render here.

OneSadCookie Wrote:Animation seems to be a huge sticking-point though. Blender is free and will animate stuff, but the UI is horrible.
I tried Blender way back before it was opensourced and absolutely hated it. Very recently I gave it another shot, and as of version 2.3 or so the UI has improved tremendously (menus!). Better yet, they now have decent documentation and video tutorials available. Now, it's still not the easiest thing to learn but if you're at all proficient in any other 3D app it'll take maybe a day or two before you can become productive with Blender. Users new to 3D should give it at least a week, but I'd say the learning curve is at least on par or better than Lightwave or 3DStudio.

I've been a long time Cinema4DXL/BodyPaint user and was pretty much set to upgrade from versions 7/1 to versions 9/2 when I discovered Blender+Wings provided equally powerful low-poly modeling, UV mapping, and even subsurface tools - for free - saved me around $1300 USD. Moral of this story: If you haven't tried Blender in a while, give it another shot...

Taxxodium: If you want to be productive in *any* 3D app (free or otherwise) buy a three button scrollwheel mouse - you can get a half-decent Logitech for $10-$15...
Sage
What are some free 3d renderers I could use for Wings models?
I used wings to model the objects in BitRacer (ships and cones only), I exported to OBJ and load this with my code. The source code is available here: http://www.uclic.ucl.ac.uk/usr/will/bitracer_src.zip . The code even does cel shading for you. I have also included all my .wings files and most of my other resources, if you are interested.

I also used Blender to create the race tracks, exporting to my files from a python script I wrote. As has been mentioned before, these are the two apps to try. 3D isn't easy on a computer. Blender isn't intuitive, but it will save you a lot of money.

I concur with Frank, you'll need a mouse to get anywhere.

Nick: Wings comes with pretty good integration with yafray a decent free renderer. http://www.yafray.org/ Or use Blender which is getting more powerful all the time.
Sage
Ok thanks. I also appreciate that code. That will help tremendously.
Sage
Where can I find ODE for Mac? I can only find Windows binaries. It's the only thing I need to compile your code.
Nick Wrote:Does anybody here have any of their games that use models from Wings? I would really like to see the quality (in game) of these models.

Okugai's "energy shields" (or is it "force fields"?), and shield generators were made with Wings, and exported to OBJ. Then I converted those OBJ to a custom binary format to save space.
Okugai's 3D animated logo (yes, it is animated even if it's not that noticeable), was also made in Wings (I exported the Japanese char to eps, imported it in Illustrator, converted it to paths, exported it as .ai, and finally imported it in Wings 3D. Then I saved it as OBJ, applied a "twist" deform FX, and saved again, more twist, another save, etc. (4 frames -> 4 OBJ). Then, I converted that to the same binary format I used for the shields & generators, which can contain several frames (each OBJ's vertex & normals are added as a new frame).
Very time consuming...

Edit: I forgot, I made the ship with Wings 3D too.
Quote:What are some free 3d renderers I could use for Wings models?
Wings 3D supposedly has easy POV-Ray integration; I've never tried it though...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Free NICE game-ready models around the world denixxx 1 6,227 Sep 25, 2010 02:23 PM
Last Post: skyhawk
  A lot of game ready character models are on sale (50% off) biabia 1 4,150 Nov 7, 2007 04:00 AM
Last Post: Jason Colman
  Wings 3D -> UV Mapping -> KBerg's OBJ Loader IBethune 6 5,416 May 24, 2005 07:33 PM
Last Post: Puzzler183
  What is a good texture formats for game models? -Rice- 8 5,777 Jan 7, 2004 11:34 AM
Last Post: whogben