Including 3rd party code in source submission

I'm putting my source submission archive together and I've come across an interesting problem. I'm using SDL, SDL_image and SDL_mixer, and since I needed to modify the latter two to make them work with CodeWarrior I'm going to include them in the archive. That's the easy bit. The hard part is that I'm also using WildMagic, which requires building and statically linking into the application. Rather than include a prebuilt WildMagic library and all the headers, I'd rather direct people to get their own copy from the WildMagic website.

Is this acceptable, or does the source code really have to build straight out of the archive without any extras? It seems to me that it's a bit of a waste of bandwidth to include so much extra 3rd party code in my source archive.

Incidentally, I have made a slightly modified version of WildMagic which makes things much faster by eliminating excessive use of memcpy(). However, this isn't required to build my game; the original version works just as well.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
Quote this message in a reply
I included the installers for SDL, SDL_image and SDL_mixer, which take about 95% of the compressed file size (1.1MB). I did not include SDL source, since I used the included installers (in fact, I couldn't even compile SDL from source!). But, for what I understand, the license requires me to "offer" to send it, so I added my email. I just hope no-one does, since the included links to the official download sites will work just fine.
I'm waiting for Carlos to send me an "source received" email.
I believe the source needs to compile "out of the box."

I have some third party code (not libraries though.) I put notes in my license file explaining that a few of the files were not mine alone, and not necessarily covered by my open source license. Each source file is clearly marked as either being mine or not. In some cases the file is mine but I make sure to credit the original author, even if they released it for unrestricted use and I made significant modifications.

In your case, I'd just create a PROGRAMMER README.txt file at your toplevel as a roadmap to your source code, and explaining where more up-to-date versions of the contributed files can be found.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
PowerMacX: The way I understand it (and I once thought as you did), you only need to provide a place to download SDL from your site IF you altered the SDL code and compiled your own version that is used in the game, otherwise a link to the SDL site is fine.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
I know, and I am using the standard SDL, SDL_mixer, and SDL_image frameworks. The thing is, even though I haven't touched those libraries' source code, I did edit "SDL Main.m". This of course doesn't mean I modified the real source code, but I did modify "code" which came with SDL, so I wasn't sure.

I'm still waiting to hear from Carlos (did you receive my entry source code?)
I wouldn't worry about that. The things we changed in the SDL Main are already in the current snapshot of the CVS version you can download from the site and swapping in a new framework would not change the SDL Main anyway. The idea is to make your game forward compatible with new versions of SDL. Changing SDLmain the way we did won't break that. Smile

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Source Submission Question pinguoren 2 2,797 Feb 28, 2009 01:31 AM
Last Post: pinguoren
  Carlosvision - question about source code stevejohnson 3 4,748 Jun 28, 2006 10:40 PM
Last Post: nich
  uDevGames 2004 source code ThemsAllTook 35 17,450 Jan 4, 2005 10:42 AM
Last Post: sealfin
  Previous years' source code Tesseract 4 5,123 Jan 2, 2005 06:13 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  Merged: Direct linking downloads and 3rd Party Site Promotion willThimbleby 21 12,147 Nov 19, 2004 09:52 PM
Last Post: aaronsullivan