Text Based RPG?

Bitter Sweet
Unregistered

I'm sure you guys get this all the times, but I haven't the slightest clue how to build a Text Based RPG, however I am interested. Is there anything I should check out before jumping into it? Or furthere more, are there empletes for these things for idiots like me? Heh.

Thanks.
- Cameron.
Quote this message in a reply
Welcome to iDevGames!

Nope, this is very possible, and quite simple. You need to learn a language. Without starting another language war, search the forums for posts recommending programming languages for beginners. For this sort of thing, C really isn't that complicated...

Go for it! You'll have fun, I promise. Smile
There's a recent post on this topic here, which contains a couple of suggestions for suitable languages to write text role-playing games in, although I'd second the suggestion to learn C.

There's also a couple of programs designed solely for authoring interactive fiction/text role-playing games out there, although I've mislaid the links to them at the moment Blush

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
Methinks this one needs METAL BASIC Smile

It'd be easy to implement, all you need is print and input and one hujonguous switch statement.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
IronWallaby
Unregistered

Switch statement = painful. XD

I'd recommend Perl, but that's just me. C sounds good too.
I've been working with Ruby lately... It's a pretty nifty language, and would be well-suited for something like this. It's a great alternative to Perl if you want something with similar capabilities, but without the horrible ugliness.

http://www.ruby-lang.org/

But, as always, you can't go wrong with C. Smile

- Alex Diener
I would say if you already know a programming language, go ahead and do it with that language- writing a text rpg is really, really easy in any language, provided you are not trying to do anything too complicated with user input (e.g. natural language parsing.) Aim low, and don't try to have your game be too complicated, and you will learn a lot.

(Also, writing a GOOD text rpg in ANY language is HARD.)

If you have never programmed before, a scripting language like METAL is a perfectly good idea. It's probably also the case that if you've never programmed before, you will have trouble installing anything like Python, Ruby, or trying to actually make a game binary with them- they're not exactly user-friendly to set up. So if you have never programmed, it's probably best to try a user-friendly scripting system like METAL, though there are some other similar systems out there if you google.
It really does depend. Smile If you just want to write a text rpg use python or ruby, (I'd go with ThemsAllTook and plug for ruby), they are standard on all Mac OS X boxes, no trouble installing anything. Don't use C it is a waste of time.

However if you'd want to then add graphics, or try and use the same language to make gui apps, I'd use something Basic like METAL.

-will
willThimbleby Wrote:Don't use C it is a waste of time.
eh? You mean that it might take a little longer to learn, right? I still disagree because basic C is great for doing a text based anything as you're learning it. You don't need to master it to use it for this pupose, and the skills learned here will serve you well in the future.
I came across this today that might be of interest to the original poster. However, the download link for Mac OSX didn't work. Maybe I'll try making a Cocoa port (unless someone else wants to take a stab at it).

http://www.generalcoffee.com/hugo.html

The brains and fingers behind Malarkey Software (plus caretaker of the world's two brattiest felines).
Here is a few tutorials on making a text RPG.
http://www.gametutorials.com/Tutorials/GT/GT_Pg1.htm
They are for the PC in C / C++ but you might be able to apply them to the Mac.

Justin "LordFire" Baldock
ruby would be great for this sort of thing... I might suggest Java if you want to create an enginge oof your own...

It's not magic, it's Ruby.
IronWallaby
Unregistered

Nayr Wrote:ruby would be great for this sort of thing... I might suggest Java if you want to create an enginge oof your own...
Actually, I would heavily recommend against Java for a project like this, unless you want to make it hard on yourself (or want it to run in a web browser, in which case I might suggest Javascript over Java because Javascript is a superior language ).

Basically, Java has no strong benefits associated with it in the area of text processing. Perl, Python, Ruby, or Javascript have complex string manipulation abilities (Perl and Javascript have particularly powerful regex manipulation, though I don't know Ruby's exact capabilities in this area -- also, I, personally, think that these four languages are more fun to code in than anything else), while C is the de facto standard for programming, good all around, and will both teach you a lot by using it and be quite speedy once compiled (assuming, of course, that you have this massive parser that does all sorts of NLP or something... otherwise speed really doesn't matter in something like this, heheh).

The only reason I can think of to use Java is to make an Applet, and I'm not sure if that's a justifiable reason.

To be completely honest with you, I feel that Java is an inferior language, and many others agree with this viewpoint. (If you like Java, please do not go and flame me -- everyone has their own preferences, and I'd prefer to keep the thread civil. Smile -- not that I've ever seen anyone who likes Java, heh. Wink )
It looks to me like the original poster just made one post and left and is no longer reading the topic.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  ALT: Creating a text-based RPG?? endkiller 31 21,649 Dec 31, 2008 03:37 PM
Last Post: Hendo
  Text based RPG in Python pipposanta 7 8,540 Feb 27, 2008 09:10 AM
Last Post: pipposanta
  I Need Help Creating A Text Based MMORPG (aka MUD) GoldenLegacy 5 4,669 Dec 10, 2007 01:57 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  How to upload scripts for text based game? Gdollaz87 5 4,055 Aug 1, 2007 10:31 PM
Last Post: Gdollaz87
  Text based RPG Smush 25 10,538 Mar 8, 2007 09:33 AM
Last Post: Smush