What is OPENGL and the MAc OS X devolopment tools, i seriously need help...

hi

well i downloaded this Devolopers tools in this path:

Macintosh HD
Mac OS X Applications
Installes
Development tools

then I downloaded the Development package.

so then i seee all the programs

And i would really like someone to please explain to me what this applications are like Quarts and Project builder so please help me i need an overview of all the files in the Developer folder.

What is OPENGL and what applications opens it? I have mac os X 10.3.2

thanks
Quote this message in a reply
[Image: dry.gif]
Google is your friend
I have seen that people are making games with opengl umm how would i start which applicateion??

thanks
Not to stray off-topic but I've noticed in your profile nahid569 that you're a programmer. What languages (spoken and programmatically) do you know?
Read the openGL and general programming forums here ...a lot, read and read and read. Then if you still want to go that route, then get a book on Cocoa (since you have apple's dev tools), then get cracking with Xcode and interface builder.

But I think you are better just STICKING to dim3 until you make at least 1 simple game with it, and decide if this game dev stuff is worth the effort.
Then try some other tools, like Unity and iGame3D when they are ready.
Also make some levels in Water Tower 3D to get a feel for just making levels.

Other stuff is sure to come up as time goes by.
IronWallaby
Unregistered

nahid569, I hope you are well-aware of how to program and already have compilers set up on your system.

If you do not yet have a working compiler, programming using OpenGL is far beyond your level. First learn how to make simple command-line apps, then move into simple graphical apps, then into OpenGL.

From your first message, it seems you do not have a working compiler, and therefore I do not expect you are very experienced in programming. This is not to make fun of you, we all had to start somewhere. I do recommend that you learn some basic programming (you will want to learn C and Objective C, perhaps start with an "easier" language, such as Python or BASIC). After you understand elementary programming principles, start working on more complex things. After you have a strong understanding of vectors, matrices, and trigonometry (or at least a cursory understanding and a VERY strong will), then go for the OpenGL.
i understand wat ur saying an di think i have mastered BASIC i mostly know the whole thing i can make ok games with BASIC, so thtas the one programming I need but im thinking that oengl and that stuff isnt as easy as basic right? but anyowne know a site where they tell u all the commands step by step?

thanks
DoG
Spelling? Thanks.
Apprentice
nahid569 Wrote:i understand wat ur saying an di think i have mastered BASIC i mostly know the whole thing i can make ok games with BASIC, so thtas the one programming I need but im thinking that oengl and that stuff isnt as easy as basic right? but anyowne know a site where they tell u all the commands step by step?

thanks

Honestly - if you are to get into OpenGL, then BASIC is probably not "the one programming" you need.

You should learn C. First get a book about C, then get the redbook.
And BTW - I seriously think that you should check the spelling in your posts Smile

'Erik
Blitz Basic is coming to the mac, maybe you can wait for that.
nahid569 Wrote:i understand wat ur saying an di think i have mastered BASIC i mostly know the whole thing i can make ok games with BASIC, so thtas the one programming I need but im thinking that oengl and that stuff isnt as easy as basic right? but anyowne know a site where they tell u all the commands step by step?

thanks
AUGH! SLOW DOWN AND LEARN TO TYPE!

seriously, you'll look like a much more intelligent person than the 12 year old I think you are right now.
is BLitz basic going to cost money cuz i dont want to spend 100s of dollars for programs

and sorry about the spelling i was in a hurry.

thanks
IronWallaby
Unregistered

Learn C, not BlitzBASIC.

I believe Mac OSX comes with GCC, which is an excellent C compiler. You'll need to open up a Terminal, write a small C app, and then use the command-line interface to compile it. (EDIT: Guess it doesn't. You need to install the dev tools.)

Or, if you grab xCode (somebody else could help you more than I in setting it up), you could use that.

And as was already stated, GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND. You'll be much better off to Google your questions then ask people, you'll get a lot more help, even if less detailed (but trust me, for learning C, you're better off with Google).
nahid569 Wrote:is BLitz basic going to cost money cuz i dont want to spend 100s of dollars for programs

and sorry about the spelling i was in a hurry.

thanks

Blitz will cost money. It will be not be as flexible as C. OTOH, it will be much quicker to pick up. Also, it will have a 3D engine at some point.