Postmortems for All?

Would it not be more use to have a postmortem for each entry and not just the winners?

I know the idea behind the postmortems is to let people see how the winners did it. However there is as much, if not more, to be learned from reading what the non winners did differently that caused them the good votes.

Note: I did not use the term losers as just becase a game comes 4th out of the 62 who entered does not make it a loser in my mind - the popular vote does not always mean something is the best....
Quote this message in a reply
It sounds like a good idea. While the standard of entries this year is the highest yet, I've noticed a worrying number of entries that are lacking some basic interface elements or are otherwise unfinished. Also, some of the games I've not given the highest votes, I think will be projects worth continuing as they are better in potential than they are at the current stage.

It would be nice to see postmortems on them all to see how the various devs coped with getting the projects done in 3 months, and where they see the games going.
Zwilnik Wrote:Also, some of the games I've not given the highest votes, I think will be projects worth continuing as they are better in potential than they are at the current stage.

Maybe we should have an additional caterogy of voting next year for those with the most future potential given an extended development time frame. This vote should not be included in the overall score as a stunning polished shoot 'em up done in 3 months may not have the longer potiental of an unpolished but still playable entry.

BTW Even if the the postmortems for all idea is not taken up I still intend to release one.
Founder
>Even if the the postmortems for all idea is not taken up I still intend to release one.
We welcome all postmortems, but only mandate that the winners provide one. Getting those, can be like pulling teeth as it is.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
I know you only mandate that the winners provide a postmortem. However I think it would be of a greater benifit if everyone submitted one. Maybe something to consider for next year? How about having a short vote afterwards on best / most usefull postmortem?

The actual process of writing the postmortem should also help the developer as it focuses them on what they did wrong or well.

If the postmortems are required in the rules then why are the prizes not issued until the postmortems are submitted? Not providing a postmortem would surely mean disqualifiaction and thus everyone moves up a place - or am I missing something here?
Not providing a post-mortem would mean disqualification, yes. Carlos has threatened so in the past. It's never been necessary to disqualify anyone in that way before though.

Measure twice, cut once, curse three or four times.
People can provide all the postmortems they like, but if no one puts them up (as is the case with last years') they aren't much use to anyone.

Chopper, iSight Screensavers, DuckDuckDuck: http://majicjungle.com
reubert Wrote:People can provide all the postmortems they like, but if no one puts them up (as is the case with last years') they aren't much use to anyone.

Thats exactly what I was going to say, I wish it would be a little higher up in the priority list than making 21 custom smiles (which do look great btw)
Jake Wrote:Thats exactly what I was going to say, I wish it would be a little higher up in the priority list than making 21 custom smiles (which do look great btw)
If you recall, I made those smilies after a bitter smiley war which split the community in two. No time was taken out of Carlos' schedule in the creation of those smilies. Wink

I do agree that we should ensure that all the postmortems from 2003 are put up as soon as possible after the contest (including my own!). I'll try to spend some time processing those once we're past the voting period.

Neil Carter
Nether - Mac games and comic art
NCarter Wrote:If you recall, I made those smilies after a bitter smiley war which split the community in two. No time was taken out of Carlos' schedule in the creation of those smilies. Wink

I'm sorry, I actually thought Carlos made those, I don't know why but I did.

But I think my point still shows, we need to get up the other postmortems, I am more interested in reading all of the other ones than seeing mine get up.
Founder
>It's never been necessary to disqualify anyone in that way before though.
Though I have come very close.

Some devs are good at writing, and sit down for this, some are very bad. I'd like a certain level of professionalism in the content we post, so editing and proofing of said articles can take a long time.

If you recall, last year during the contest and after the contest, the site ran into many problems. Plus my HDs decided to take a vacation. It's been a major undertaking to get the site back up, to make a new site for uDevGames, and to run uDevGames Contest. So yes, old postmortems are late, but if I work on one thing, then something else gets put on hold.

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
Yes, please don't forget the disaster that Carlos climbed out of, and then pulled off a very quick and successfu uDevGames 2004. The alternative would have been SKIPPING uDevGames 2004, right?

Is there a thread, or a place I don't know of that gives an outline of a typical post mortem. I plan on writing one whether I win anything or not. The goal is to learn from my own mistakes and give a thorough think through from beginning to end, and a public post mortem is a good motivation to see it to the end.

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
Founder
>The alternative would have been SKIPPING uDevGames 2004, right?
Indeed. Many people forget that point. Perhaps someday we can have a uDG with a stable site before the contest, during the contest and after the contest. All backend systems in place, and all rules debate well taken care of. Little by little, we are inching towards that I hope. Grin

Intro
What made you make the game/background of project
Tools or people involved

What went wrong
at least 4 points

What went right
at least 4 points

Conclusion
about the project
about your next project
maybe about what yoyu learned from uDevGames
advice for others?

your bio
project stats
ie tools used, hardward used, dev length, lines of code, APIs used, etc..

Cheers,

Carlos A. Camacho,
Founder
iDevGames
What file format would you like the postmortems in?
Can they include graphics?

I'm assuming that the outline you gave above is only a suggestion and that there is not a fixed template.

I'm already past the 700 word count and I've not even got into it yet!

Edit: Sorry, that should now be 1845 words.
it says postmortems are due the 29th... does this mean the winners will be told ahead of time? before the dec 6th ceremony?