Quick threaded OpenGL drawing question in Cocoa

Sage
I recently adapted my game engine to use a separate thread ( a pthread, not NSThread ) to run the physics as opposed to a timer, and I saw a fair decline in CPU use ( about 8 to 10% ), which is very encouraging. So I'm considering using a thread to schedule display.

That said, I'm aware that on OS X any calls to OpenGL must be made from the same thread as which created the context.

So, my question is, does calling display on an NSOpenGLView draw the view directly in the caller's thread, or enqueue an event to the application object to redisplay in the app thread?

I could write a test to verify, but it would take time and I figure somebody here's got to know Wink

Thanks?
Quote this message in a reply
Sage
TomorrowPlusX Wrote:I'm aware that on OS X any calls to OpenGL must be made from the same thread as which created the context.
Not true. You can create a context and then draw into it from any number of threads. The trick is that a context is a shared resource; only one thread can be drawing into it at a time, and that includes the window manager resize/move/minimize etc via the main thread.

So for multithreading:
* acquire a lock in your rendering methods (drawRect, reshape...) to prevent simultaneous access
* make sure the context is current before submitting any commands.

Failing to do both of these results in either no gfx, garbage, or a hung system (because the GL drivers are kernel extensions. If you render from multiple threads into one context simultaneously the command streams is corrupted, your computer goes boom.)
Sage
That sounds fairly complicated. Fortunately, I don't need to worry about it now. I've changed my timer to have a time interval of zero, and I'm letting the vblank sync keep it managed. With the physics running independently at 100htz, the game runs smoothly regardless of the current fps.

Thanks for the note, though.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Texture Loading Cocoa/OpenGL ultitech 1 7,197 Jan 31, 2011 12:51 PM
Last Post: mk12
  Cocoa/OpenGL drawing full-screen problem ultitech 5 8,601 Jan 13, 2011 01:11 PM
Last Post: SethWillits
  On DisplayLink & Threaded GL TomorrowPlusX 6 4,959 Aug 12, 2009 02:34 PM
Last Post: TomorrowPlusX
  Cocoa OpenGL clapton541 3 5,068 Aug 5, 2007 09:22 PM
Last Post: BenRose3d
  setting up opengl w/cocoa Leroy 5 4,718 Jun 18, 2007 06:00 PM
Last Post: kelvin