ALT: Creating a text-based RPG??

WaaMatt
Unregistered

Ah, thanks.
Quote this message in a reply
Bladedancer17, I can help you. Email me: diordna@macintoshdevelopers.net

As for the rest of you text adventure types, also email me and if there are more than 1 of you than I will write you a custom engine in Blitz or METAL so you will just have to edit text files. If I don't have time for that I'll get you started on your own - it's easy enough.

My web site - Games, music, Python stuff
clanfear
Unregistered

Perhaps you would like to check http://www.legendarytales.com

It is a text based game editor which even supports images and sounds and uses javascript or visual basic for scripting.
From a quick glance, it appears that's only for Windows, ergo wouldn't be of much help to the majority of people here...

Mark Bishop
--
Student and freelance OS X & iOS developer
clanfear
Unregistered

Ooops! Rasp I guess I posted to the wrong forums.
Syphon485
Unregistered

hey im also making a text based rpg but i have the basics up now and i need some way of doing the members im strapped for ideas. I wud like it be less manual labor, like everyday updating because i do that now.
IronWallaby
Unregistered

Doing the members? Define what you mean.

First, I do think the one of the best ways to do a text-based RPG is a strong object-oriented approach. The is a player-object holding a sword-object and a bag-object (containing a lunch-object) in a room-object with a daemon-object and a lamp-object. Inheritance is your best friend.

If you can implement it cleanly, then you now have an elegant and robust world.

Otherwise, I would use a language with first-class functions (functions are variables; thinking C, Python, Perl, and Javascript here): have a (Perl) hash of hashes of functions, to define the various ways you can interact with objects. That would work just as well, and be simpler to implement, though it would be much simpler to implement than a full OO framework.

The parser also deserves your respect and attention; an object-oriented approach would allow you to do a better job with possessives, I think.
Flash MX is also another option to use as a development system for the game. Costs a student $100. The ActionScript system can give you a taste of programming. It will also allow cross-platform playability.

However, if you'd like to gain higher-end programming knowledge then I'd suggest taking the advice of the other programmers whom have chimed in.

ProRattaFactor
(Retro-infused games for iPad, iPhone, iPod touch, and Mac)
IronWallaby
Unregistered

Why waste $100 on Flash MX if you can just use Javascript for free?

Javascript and ActionScript are the same language (ECMAScript), and web browsers are free. I mean, sure, Flash can do some great stuff, but this is a text RPG we're talking! We don't need any vector graphics.
gatti Wrote:Flash MX is also another option to use as a development system for the game. Costs a student $100. The ActionScript system can give you a taste of programming. It will also allow cross-platform playability.

However, if you'd like to gain higher-end programming knowledge then I'd suggest taking the advice of the other programmers whom have chimed in.

From what I've heard the programming in Flash is pure slapped on garbage, though, it's better then nothing.
Syphon485
Unregistered

sorry for the long time it took me to reply but heres my problem. See i have a game where you earn a certain amount of exp per day. now what i need it to do is take the exp stat and add it to a spot i have thats called total exp. it has to add that stat once a day every day on its own. The other thing i would love is if when people clicked to buy an item from the store that it wud get added to their page and money taken from their bank account Automatically without me doing anything. I know im asking for alot but if someone could point me in a direction on how to learn to make this code or w/e then i would be greatly appreciated i already have a password and username box setup that works so. But im trying to use html and javascript only because that is all i know at the moment and to put it bluntly i suck at JS.
well it seems like you need to use some kind of database... if your not already. I believe javascript can connect to MYSQL (i might be wrong).

How are you currently saving information?

There was a long silence...
'I claim them all,' said the Savage at last.
IronWallaby
Unregistered

hangt5 Wrote:well it seems like you need to use some kind of database... if your not already. I believe javascript can connect to MYSQL (i might be wrong).

How are you currently saving information?
No, Javascript can only do HTTP queries.

Database queries are what the server-side language are for.
My javascript book juked me out by including a chapter on mysql/asp.

There was a long silence...
'I claim them all,' said the Savage at last.
Nibbie
I am new to the game making idea, I have played text based games for quite a while and I would like to make my own. I need EVERYTHING step-by-step from top to bottom to know how to make a game. My based Idea on a game will be LIKE the game link I am about to post: [url=mafiacorruption.com]Clicky![/ur] so take a look at it and PLEASE tell me how to do this. All help will be thanked forRasp

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Text based RPG in Python pipposanta 7 8,057 Feb 27, 2008 09:10 AM
Last Post: pipposanta
  I Need Help Creating A Text Based MMORPG (aka MUD) GoldenLegacy 5 4,448 Dec 10, 2007 01:57 PM
Last Post: AndyKorth
  How to upload scripts for text based game? Gdollaz87 5 3,891 Aug 1, 2007 10:31 PM
Last Post: Gdollaz87
  Text based RPG Smush 25 10,102 Mar 8, 2007 09:33 AM
Last Post: Smush
  Java/C++ Sever-side RPG Text Based.. darkdescendent 1 2,319 Oct 27, 2006 07:47 AM
Last Post: BeyondCloister