Game Well Dried Up

EvolPenguin Wrote:How about something like Final Fantasy Tactics, except for mac. If i remember correctly, there was something like that for 21 days, it looked cool. Does anyone remember the link?

Alex

Are you referring to World to Conquer? It was one of my faves in uDG 2003.

I'd really like to see Metroid's gameplay reborn on the Mac. And I'm talking the original few that really forced you to explore, not the later ones that hold your hand through the whole game. While we're talking platformers, I'd like to see Contra, Castlevania, and Megaman too.

Justin Ficarrotta
http://www.justinfic.com
"It is better to be The Man than to work for The Man." - Alexander Seropian
Quote this message in a reply
ThemsAllTook Wrote:Sorry to go off topic, but have you heard from Will lately?

- Alex Diener

No, I haven't heard from him either. Unfortunate too, as we were planning a uDG entry.
I was working on an homage to Contra at one point. Smile
It's what got me back into making games. I started with SDL (just 2D) went up to SDL+OpenGL for the game I stopped making for uDevGames 2003 and then made Space Barrage.

World To Conquer was excellent. I wanted to see that more complete.

I've seen some people copying Nintendo DS games already like that Incredible Ink game (GameHouse games.) There's many fresh ideas there and most of them would work pretty well with a mouse. Smile

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
aaronsullivan Wrote:I was working on an homage to Contra at one point. Smile

Any chance of resuming the project?? Love

aaronsullivan Wrote:I've seen some people copying Nintendo DS games already like that Incredible Ink game (GameHouse games.) There's many fresh ideas there and most of them would work pretty well with a mouse. Smile

And vice versa. Dreaming about Kill Dr. Cote DS... Wow

Here's one from the do-it-before-I-do-it-myself department: Bionic Commando. Why aren't there more bionic arms in games? Swinging from stuff rules.

Justin Ficarrotta
JustinFic Wrote:Here's one from the do-it-before-I-do-it-myself department: Bionic Commando. Why aren't there more bionic arms in games? Swinging from stuff rules.
I loved and hated bionic commando so much. I could never beat it, but I blame that on my being so young then... and it is impossible to find now...
rossum
Unregistered

yeah bionic commando was one of my favorite games on nes, i got lucky and picked it up at a thrift store last year for a buck. Still just as fun now. Here's a link to a pretty good fanpage if anyone is interested. http://www.elitecoder.com/bionic/bionic-commando.html
About the contra homage: Not in the near future, sorry. Sad But, if I did, the character would have to get a bionic arm. Wink If I was going to make a serious effort at a platform game, now, I'd probably go for a game in the style of Metroid (original.) I have an old idea for this that could be lots of fun. The only problem with these types of games on computers is that... they aren't that great using a keyboard, and most people don't have game pads.

Bionic C is also one of my faves. It's SO hard now! It was so much easier when I was a teen. It is true, Justin, that there is nothing like swinging on a bionic arm. Smile It was such a unique technique that took time to master, but when you did, it was terribly fun. Wow

I wonder what one could do with a keyboard/mouse control... maybe use the mouse to aim the arm and swing... hmm...

Cool site, btw, I like that they play the correct music for the stages in the level section. Smile

"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain." - Wizard of Oz
I was thinking it would be fun to do a side-scroller a lÃ* mario soon... But then I found this:

http://super-tux.sf.net/

And now I can't get anything done Wink
aaronsullivan Wrote:The only problem with these types of games on computers is that... they aren't that great using a keyboard, and most people don't have game pads.

I saw a shareware game recently (want to say it was called Pow Pow's Adventure) which sold for $30, but was bundled with a gamepad. Interesting idea.

aaronsullivan Wrote:I wonder what one could do with a keyboard/mouse control... maybe use the mouse to aim the arm and swing... hmm...

We were this () close to seeing this for uDevGames. I was torn between Dr. Cote and a sidescroller with this sort of control scheme. It was a ninja game, and you would run with four movement keys (WASD or whatever,) aim with the mouse, throw shuriken with left click, and fire a ninja rope with the right click. It ended up being way too ambitious for one person over three months. Definitely let me know if there's a bionic arm in your future- I have some cool ideas Smile

And on Metroid, I've been glued to Symphony of the Night lately. Just bought it used (PSX, 7 years old, no box/manual, for 20 bucks. That's how awesome it is.) It's Castevania 1 meets Super Metroid meets Final Fantasy. Rules.

Justin Ficarrotta
Nanocrisis is essentially pieced together Zelda + Symphony of the night. I think people who weren't hardcore old-skool console gamers found it too complicated, though, which makes me think I probably should have made something simpler, at least for uDG.
MarkJ
Unregistered

Lacking in inspiration? I suggest grabbing a good Commodore 64 emulator from emulation.net and then checking out these great C64 Games.
Contra? Oh boy, that would be awesome to do a modern version of that on the mac (fancier, more-modern graphics would be easy). Maybe also doing something similar to Ikaruga (sp?). Brian just didn't get far enough with his entry to provide enough entertainment for me in this style of game.

Maybe a couple guys would like to team up and take on either of these challenges? Shareware or freeware, it'd be a great addition.
Max
lightbringer Wrote:Contra? Oh boy, that would be awesome to do a modern version of that on the mac (fancier, more-modern graphics would be easy). Maybe also doing something similar to Ikaruga (sp?). Brian just didn't get far enough with his entry to provide enough entertainment for me in this style of game.

An Ikaruga clone would be great, with fancy Open-GL environments. As for Contra... I'm not sure if players would like a clone. The latest Contra games suck. It's a disaster. Strange enough, game critics praise the funny side-scroller/shooter "Alien Hominide". Go to Newgrounds.com and try the Flash demo.

Freelance video game artist and video game compliance tester at Enzyme Testing Labs.